1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Commercial Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Jun 12, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

This is the first year that I decided to take on some commercial properties, and so far have bid 4 and landed 1. Up to this year I've only done general lawn maintenance and never touched beds. So with that being said that's where I seem to have trouble coming up with a competative bid, but still make money in the end.

The property I am bidding on is a bank that is surrounded on two sides by pavement with small ditches. The turf measures out to approx. 30k. These areas are anywhere from 200 sq. ft islands to 7.8k along the roads. From the looks of it I will be better off running my 36"wb on the majority of the property if not all of it. I may be able to get by with mowing the ditched with the 60" Z, but that would be about it. There is the usual string trimming, I would say approx 20-25 trees and other obstacles that will require it. And as with any business there is a good bit of parking area that will need to be blowed off upon completion.

They also want me to keep the beds weeded. They have the installer of the landscaping maintaining the the shrubs and keeping mulch in the beds annually. There are 12 beds measuring out to 3.7k.

They want the property maintained all year and whether it needs it or not is at my discretion.

As far as the mowing goes I am thinking along the lines of $120 per cut, with an estimated 42 cutting for a total of $5040 annually. I am stumped on the beds.

I'm open to any suggestions on figuring out how to charge for the beds and please tell me what you thing about my figures for mowing.

2. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Someone's bound to be able to help me out.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

No one's going to be able to give you a price without seeing what you've got, whether the beds are completely weeds, or just a few here and there, yada yada yada.

I'd say tack on an extra 20% to your bill, make it an even $6000 + sales tax if you need to.

If you stay on top of the weeds, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

If it is a big deal, say the original guy that put the beds in didn't put down any material or anything, then next year say "hey, I didn't realize that there'd be so many weeds like last year" and then raise the price if you need to.
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Hopefully the guy didnt put down any fabric. That would just bring on more complications. Anyways, invest in a Solo brand backpack sprayer and grab a thing of RoundUp Pro. I would tack on anywhere from 20 extra bucks a cut and up, depending on what the surroundings are as far as other weeds in the area.
  5. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.

The beds have very little weeds in them now...and from what I could tell they didn't put any kind of fabric down prior to installing the beds.

I was thinking about $20/time like jwingfield2k said. If I stay on top of them and don't let them get out of hand they shouldn't be too bad.