1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help with company name

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Summerscapes, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Summerscapes

Summerscapes LawnSite Member

Looking to start up a Low Voltage Lighting company and am looking for advice on a name. I want to incorporate the word Summerscapes in there somewhere.

choices so far:
    1. Summerscapes Outdoor Lighting or SOL for short
    2. Summerscapes
    3. Summerscapes Outdoor Services (not too keen on SOS...but I guess I could use it to my advantage)

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

How about Illuminations by Summerscapes? SOL sounds like $#@t out a luck, if you know what I mean.
  3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

HA HA HA

Paul--that's it--my new name!
  4. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

"Seasonscapes" with four divisions, or just three divisions with three months off each year.

Or if you do irrigation, too, how about Sprinklers Plus? Or Sprinklescapes, in fact, I've been thinking about all the scapes and how many more there must be.

Mulchscapes, Mowscapes, poopscapes (dog material removal), landscapescapes, forumscapes, H&R Block for taxscaping, softscapes (anything not hardscapes), handyscapes, roofscapes, plumbscapes, carpetscapes, and a bunch of military scapes, like warscaping, bombscaping, waragainstterrorscaping, etc.

Or... Maybe I don't like my lightscapes anymore and advise against namescapes of any scape.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike is that lightscapes or lightscrapes? :laugh:

With all of the market convergence going on these days I would expect some big multinationals come knocking and suggest all of the Nightscapes and Lightscapes that exist out there to band together into one big giant conglomerate... NightLightScapes! Think of the possibilities!
  6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Years ago I had a phone number for my business that was 379-LAWN.
    Then we went into a period of about 3 years of drought and I wasn't doing much sod lawn installtion work... but at some point I realized that 379 spelled D-R-Y.

I used it to my advantage in some community newpaper ads and did a mailing promoting conversions to drip irrigation...

So, S-O-S is not a bad idea if you can work with it...
  7. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure your name is available as a business by checking with your county clerk's office. If it's clear, the next step would be to choose a name thats also available on the Internet. Your business name and your Internet name should be very close.

Whichever domain name you go with, set up your email to work with your website. I.E. info@somerscapes.com It's tacky to have somerscapes.com and use aol, hotmail, or yahoo etc.
  8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

James.. did you know your domain name is one character off from Integral Lighting's domain name? They just use a hyphen between their words.
  9. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

While it may seem boring, using the words "outdoor lighting" in both the company name and URL will fare best in terms of search engine results. When homeowners search for landscape lighting, they most often use the terms "outdoor lighting". Next in popularity is "landscape lighting".

Part of Google's approach to satisfy their users is to put more weight in the company name and url, then to search the home page to make sure that the text contains the same words.

Homeowners are also quite likely to search "outdoor lighting {city, county or state}". That's why I'm always happy when a company incorporates their region in their company name; e.g. Carolina Outdoor Lighting, New England Outdoor Lighting. At the very least, the web home page should mention the regions served. It's amazing how many sites I visit where regions are never mentioned and sometimes there's not even a physical address!
  10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Never noticed that Anthony... of course theirs is the tongue twister so they are welcome to it! I am pretty sure my Name / Site came first, and as nice as Integral is, it does not convey the same character, depth or layers of meaning that INTEGRA does.

What me worry? :sleeping: