1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help with coustomers that want me to skip a lawn cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rats5656, Sep 26, 2000.

1. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

today i had two of my coustomers called and left msg on my machine today saying please skip this weeks lawn cut beacuse of no growth and until i call you to cut it again. what should i do service charge, bil twice or?. i am scared what if others call and say the same thing. what should i do? please need help with this one.
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If you are not under contract or don't have an agreement then you have to sit on the sidelines until they call.

I have a few people that will tell me this every now and then because I don't work under a contract but if it doesn't grow then I don't mow. (I'm also a poet:) )

The problems start when it really DOES need to be mowed and they say it doesn't. Then some fast talking about double charging next week has to come in. If you want constant income then you have to make different arrangements. Good Luck.
  3. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Next year I am going to bill my customers monthly based on a min. of thirty mows devided by eight equal billings . I will bill other services seperate in case they " found someone who is cheaper" , that way I get paid for those services. This will be no problem for the good 90% of my accounts . It will prevent the other 10% from sticking me with hollow days that produce less income. It is my opinion that no lawn in the continuous U.S.ofA needs less than 30 mows in one season. If it doesn't I would rather pass on it. (These last two lines will be in my 2001 sigh-up letter.)
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

With the droughts we have around here I get this alot. Thats what you do without a contract in effect. Waite til the call you. Mow Ed I am familiar with those customers who say it doesnt need it when i know it does. My rule if it is raining regular, I cut. Then I tell them that if I get there and it is high then it will be more money. They always say "well come on over then". Really if they let it get high more than once I threaten to quit. it can be a constant battle with some customers.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

When are you folks gonna learn. You need to have an anual contract with every single customer you service. Even the ones who only have you mow when they're on vacation. It's the only way you can avoid such problems. When one of my customers tells me not to cut because of no growth I smile and say ok because I'll be getting paid for not doing a thing.
  6. powerreel

powerreel Banned

if you don't have an "annual" contract, one must make sure that they have calibrated for off season months. in the winter and late fall alot of "lawn services" go under or move to other things. time will tell if you will be voted off the island or not- good luck!
  7. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

so since i have no contracts i should just be happy with how many times each coustomer lets me cut there lawn each year ???
  8. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

When a customer says to mow it every two weeks and I show up and it's 6 inches high I simply raise my mower deck to be able to handle what the machine can do. It get's mowed, I don't kill my mower and I get my money. Any complaints I just say it needs to be mowed more often. They seem to see the light.
  9. new lawn

new lawn LawnSite Member

Right on Mowerman90

I state in my "CONTRACT" that mowing will be done weekly during the months on April---August and ANY cancelation will be charrged a $15.00 cancelation fee. This means I get paid for doing Nothing! Just skip that one and on to the next. I haven't had any problems with anyone this season probably because it's been so wet here in Michigan. I find that if you take the time and explain to the customer that your company bases its income on a service that is to be preformed weekly and any cancelation hits hard in the overall ending profits---They Understand... The service you provide doesn't always start with the first cut blade of grass. It starts long before that. Explain yourself and you will find that the customer will appreciate your honesty upfront. My sugestion, next year try a contract. It saves yourself from dealing with such things as this.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you DO charge by the cut, like I do, just tell them it can't be done. The reason is they might happen to call on a Wednesday, wanting their lawn cut on a Friday. By this time you're already into your schedule-(location, etc.) and it's already ankle deep when they call. By the time you get to it, it's even longer yet- twice as much work- mess- they're unhappy- we're unhappy- EVERYONE's unhappy- and for what, for someone to save a buck? I don't THINK so! If you come in two weeks later, tell them that you have to charge just under double the normal cutting price. This way, they might as well maintain it regularly. If they want to go with someone who does it "by the call", LET 'EM! There is two more jobs waiting right down the street for you!