need help with crushed stone driveway estimate

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Emerscape, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

A customer that had me do an asphalt repair job wants me to re-do a crushed stone driveway. The driveway is currently overgrown and will have to be leveled out with a skidsteer. The driveway is a total of approx. 1500sq feet. I will have to rent a skidsteer for approx 200 dollars. THe material calculator gave me the following amounts:
    1" = 4.6 yds or 6.9 tons @ $25 per ton= $172.50
    1.5"= 6.9yds or 10.35 tons @ $25= $258.75
    2"= 9.3 yds or 13.95 tons @ $25 = $348.75
    2.5" = 11.6 yds or 17.4 tons @$25= $435.00

the stone varies between $16 and $23 dollars depending on what kind the customer wants. The logistics of everything i can do but the actuall estimating has been the hard part for me. Im estimating that is gonna take me 4-6 hours to complete the project.. (sounds like a long time but since i underestimated grossly the last time i thought id be more liberal) so I stuck with 6 hours @ $ 50 an hour and estimated the skidsteer at 275 dollars. What depth do I need to go with ? Im assuming that 2.5” is too deep. Also below is a breakdown of what I would charge the customer ( I had to put it in excel becuase it wouldnt come out right on the page). Tell me what you think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated . Also any thoughts on using weed fabric?

2. Emerscape

sorry I guess I was too slow. here it is . sorry i ended up having to put it into word

Attached Files:

3. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

Emerscape,

Are you going to be completely removing the existing driveway and starting over, or are you just adding additional stone on top of what's already there and regrading? If you're removing the existing driveway, have you thought about what you're going to do with the excavated material?

I would do nothing LESS than 4" of stone, and 6" preferred. If you're just adding some additonal stone to what's already there then your numbers look fine, otherwise they look a little light.

Are you asking about weed fabric just for controlling the weeds or are you thinking of using it for soil stabilization? If it's the former, I wouldn't bother as it's probably going to get plently of punctures as you install the stone. If it's the latter, then you really want to be looking at a Geotex fabric: http://www.usfabricsinc.com/products/wovenstabilization.shtml

Joe

4. Emerscape

i was planning on taking out about 2-3 inches of the existing drivewway as it is in total need of re-grading. as far as excavating the material the place im getting the crushed stone will take it for a 25 dollar dump fee. as far as weed fabric i had considered it for just weeds but its too costly for these people. 6 inches of stone sounds like a lot

5. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

I think you can get more for it. Also, how hard packed is the drive now?? If its really packed tight, the skid steer might have trouble loosening it up...if not, piece of cake.

6. Emerscape

the driveway is pretty packed but i was going to bring a toothbucket attacment with me to rip up the hard areas.

7. Emerscape

do u think that im going light on the money part or the stone application. i appreciate the help. i was hoping to submit the bid by tomorrow (wednesday)

8. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

The stone is probably 3/4 in material it is nearly impossible to lay in half inches. I would put at least 4 inches down and use a limestone material if available. As it crushes down the dust becomes a filler between stones and lasts longer.

9. Emerscape

well i inputed the information @ a thickness of 4". total material is 18.5 yds or 27.75 tons .. a material cost of $693.75 + $275.00 (skidsteer)+ $300 (labor) for a total of $1268.75... how does that sound ?

10. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

Are you picking up the stone or having it delivered? If you're picking it up, you need to add that in as well since it will cost you both time and fuel, and with an F450 you're talking about multiple trips. You also mentioned dump fees at the material yard for the excavated material. I didn't see that factored into your bid.

For comparison, I signed up a similar job a few weeks ago for a 3150 sq. ft. driveway, and I'm charging the guy $2800 (4" of 2B limestone, which I can get for about $17/ton delivered). All the excavated material is staying on-site, so no hauling or dump fees.

Hope this helps...

Joe