Need help with direct mail

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by T.E., Jan 19, 2004.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone, I hope that some of you can help me. I'm considering doing some direct mailings to targeted areas. I have read 11 pages of posts on the subject, and have not yet got my answers!

What I am planning on doing is a 4.25" x 6" post card. Full color, both sides, to a named resident, and a coupon. I'm targeting (example) women over 50, single, house over 150k, income 200k up,etc.

My question? Is this the type direct mail that some of you have had success with? If not what have you had success with? Thanks Tony

2. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Hmm, well I think I payed about $300 for a one sided color type thing. Blank on back. It was just like val pack just a different company. 10,000 were sent out and I think I got about 20 calls.

Now I really don't remember when they were sent out. This was like 2 years ago. I didn't like the turn out. But a lot of things play into direct mail. So, just make sure you pick a good time for them to go out and have a good coupon or discount. Believe it or not a sign on the side of road brings in lots of calls. One I got from the sign was a commercial acount. Had it for a year and a half now.

Jason

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have learned one thing! That is, No one has had successful direct mailings. Thanks For the help,Tony

4. randy2625

randy2625 LawnSite Member

whats a good coupon to put on them if you dont have residental on contract

5. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We have used direct mail to specific target areas and it works. However, it must be done on an ongoing basis. We did it 4 times a year using different materials each time. It worked but it takes a while.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone got any suggestions on where to get preprinted post cards?

7. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

go to vistaprint.com

8. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

mtdmaster

I got mine at Lesco good size selection.

10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

T.E. You said no one has had success with direct mail? Then I wonder why Scotts and Tru-Green spend so much money on it? In order to have succes in Direct mail you must do it more than once. mail one mailing then a few weeks later hit it again, then follow up with phone calls. thats how you have succes with direct mail. I do very well with it, so well that we dont use the Yellow pages. that way we target the customers we want and dont attract the price shoppers. To directly answer your questions it needs to be a professional piece like you are getting. Second mail them two times and follow up with calls