need help with disease ID

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by godzilla, Aug 24, 2012.

1. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lawn installed in May, which brought in 2" of topsoil to a shaded lawn with an irrigation system. The lawn has been coming in very thin, and I am seeing a white fungus on the soil. The fungal bodies are a few cm in diameter, not very big and come gathered in blotches. There were a couple of slimy greyish / brown mycellial fans that showed up in some spots but I haven't seen them in a while. Any thoughts on what this could be, or how I could treat it?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

"Fungal bodies a few cm in diameter"? You sound like an expert. I have no clue. Are you sure you didn't get used mushroom soil for that 2 inches of topsoil?

Shade is problematical. If you have less than 6 hours of sun. You might be better off with myrtle, pachysandra, or ferns.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You are giving the shaded lawn too much water... these guys are like canaries in the mineshaft... they don't need to be killed,,, they need to be heeded...

Back off the water and let the soil, not just the grass, but the soil dry, between waterings...

4. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably ground pearls or dwarf variety of shrooms (not literally) . And the rest what was said above about the water and stuff.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. countryclublawnllc

countryclublawnllc LawnSite Member

Probably fairy ring which will show the whitish gray on the soil when it is really active. Pretty hard to control chemically not to mention expensive. Prostar at 4.5 oz/1000 mixed with a wetting agent then drneched in will check it for awhile. I have had good luck with organic fertilizers before but not sure if it wasn't just the extra Nitrogen helping it grow out of it. Maybe try some Milorganite at a 1lb. N/1000. It won't burn the lawn up.

Good Luck,

John