1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Dovetail

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mikekl, May 20, 2005.

1. mikekl

mikekl LawnSite Member

I recently posted about problems loading mowers,my trailer deck is 20" from the ground,I had 5 foot gate put on,still too steep,I have been jacking the front up to load and unload,but its gotta go pretty high not to catch the deck on the expanded metal! I am thinking about putting a 2ft. dovetail on it,Then I could probably use a 3 or 4 ft gate with a very easy grade.Anyone have experience using a dovetail?I know they drag sometime in a dip,how high should the end of the dovetail be from the ground?The trailer is a 16ft tandem axle,will all that extra steel on the back end cause the rear tire to hit the fender?Thanks for any help.---MikeK.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

What equipment are you using. I would just have the gate lengthed by 12 to 18" longer. It would be a lot cheaper then to have a dovetail mounted to it.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2 foot dovetail and a 4 foot gate. A lot of different machines have gone up it and never had a problem. If i were you, i would just add another foot on to your gate.
  4. mikekl

mikekl LawnSite Member

The mower I have trouble with is a gravely 72" outfront mower,The deck tilts up for transport with hydraulics,but it doesnt lift it very high,the problem with making a longer gate is,my gate is already 5 ft.(too big)plus that mower is very heavy and the gate is made from 1/4" angle steel,another foot would be too much steel,i did some designing and calculating for a 2ft dovetail,final height from ground will be around 12"-15".Plus all the steel to make it will only cost me around $100.I am a good welder,so it should turn out nice.Does 12" from ground seem too close?I am going to look at other dovetails to see theirfinal height.Thanks,Mike
  5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I build my trailer with a 18" dovetail set at a 10 deg. angle. I have a 42" tailgate. The deck height is 21". A tail set at this angle and length drops the tailgate pin location aprox. 3 1/2" from the deck height. I've loaded everything from an old single blade snapper rider to several different full size ZTR's including front and mid deck models. None of them had any problems. Hope this helps.