1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help with earth worms !

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SOONER GREEN, Oct 10, 2005.

SOONER GREEN LawnSite Member

I have a cust with 4 Tiff greens. They are mowed at 1/8 inch. Every year at about this time the worms come to the surface. The rollers on the reels get clogged with mud and the surface is un playable. We had them shocked last year.The guys that did it pick up these little bitty worms until they just gave up.Is there anything I can do. Ill try anything , cost is not a problem.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Liquid Sevin at a rate of about 2 gallon per acre with a good wetting agent. I believe Sevin is labelled CG but you better check.
  3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Now Ric...wouldn't that be a misapplication according to the labeled directions? ;)

But I know it would work...
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Weren't those little worms actually Grubs???? They sure looked like Grubs from where I am standing.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Maybe you could spray the area with liquid sulfur? I forget what is used to get them to come up out of their mounds so they can become fish bait.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I know everybody wants to kill everything that is a nuisance but the earthworms are a good sign of a healthy soil ecosystem. I think killing them would be detrimental to the overall health of your turf. I suppose the greens are too big to just scoop the castings up before you mow? I would try and come up with some mechanical means of removing the castings. You might try diatimatious earth at least that way you are only killing the current population and not the entire soil ecosystem like a pesticide would. I'm really not a Bierkinstock wearing liberal I just have been down the chemical path and and found the more I used the more I needed. Nature works.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Go back to basic label read and under standing. It is the site and not the Species that dictates the application.

Az Gardener

I won't argue with you about over applying Chemicals. Sevin has the Broadest Label of any Insecticide ever produced. Yes It will Kill Microbes as well. But This is a Golf Course and a Green. I am sure it is no stranger to many Chemical already.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree,earthworms aerate the soil and add great compost with their castings.They are a sign of healthy soil and with healthy soil you get healthy turf ..more resistant to disease,fungus,and pest problems than unhealthy turf.
    If you absolutely have to get rid of them,suck um up with a shopvac and pour them into plastic containers with the soil sucked up with them and newspaper torn into strips,put them on your porch and cover them.Then throw all your vegetable scraps from the kitchen in with them and they will make you free compost.
    Or dry out the turf a little and they will go back down
    and hybernate.
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think this is a USGA golf course, if it was it would have sand bed for 12" or so and no mud castings only sand. I imagine it is a homeowners private link on a clay base. If they had been using many chemicals I don't think they would have the worm problem/asset. Politely, with all due respect. No matter how I type this I sound like smart a**, not my intention.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

No problem, it is an honest reply. Yes You are right A USGA Green Mix would be 96% sand and less than 4% SOM. Not the best environment for Worms as apposed to a Push up Green. So yes I believe you are correct about the push up Green. However from the statement about hard to play with worms on the green I understood it to be Course as apposed to a home owner Green. Also the statement about Cost being no object tell me it is a commercial course of some kind. Therefore I will go back to my statement about this green being no stranger to Chemicals.

The speed at which Sevin will cure the problem and the speed in which diatimatious earth will work there is an Economy value of function of that Green. Yes You suggestion might be a more noble one and I will agree better for the environment. But I believe Sevin will be better choice for economy reasons.