Need help with edging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TazLandscapes, Aug 10, 2007.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes LawnSite Member

I Have been asked by alot of my customers if i do edging which i do not.Well that is changing next season i am purchasing a robin bhe2500 4 stroke edger."same thing as my trimmer" And i wanted to ask a couple of questions for the experts.

All my accounts have the grass grow right up to the driveway and street curbing and i have one account that had granite steps built into the side of his yard "only 3 steps" and it becomes a pain in the butt to trim.And i was wondering what i should charge to edge i was thinging somewhere between the lines of $1.50-$2.00 sq ft
    I do not know the answer here so that is why i am asking the experts. here.

Thanks
    Mike.

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

we use better heads on our trimmers they are great for edging and working along fences i sold our edger because we don't use it any more. check out the web site. www.betterheadsllc.com

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Charge in line with your standard hourly rate...20% more time...20% more money

4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I just bid my lawns with the price of edging, trimming, mowing and blowing all included. I can't imagine not edging a lawn that I just mowed. The edging is the most important part to me to make the lawn look great. I use an Echo stick edger on the lawns with lots of edging, on the lawns with less edging I just use my trimmer.

5. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

sq ft of what? Every house I cut I edge, about 300 feet of edging per house and takes less then 3 minutes

6. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes LawnSite Member

I have never done edging before that is why i asked.I do not know how to price this out. The business belongs to my dad but i am hoping next year he will sign it over to me.And he never put his customers on a contract he just shakes their hand if it is deal but i am putting all my customers on contracts next year Plowing and Mowing.But How do i go and price out edging.Plus alot of my customers their lawn grow right up to their driveways and curbing. how do i take care of that..

Thanks
    Mike

7. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Use a stick edger, you cant figure out price without doing a few first. I mean if I had to price edging seperatly it would cost less then $5 per home as its 3 minutes of work but since 100% of my lawns are edged every week its all included into the price.

8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, an expert I'm not, but that is the whole idea when the lawn grows alongside a hard surface such as a sidewalk or driveway. Edging simply cuts a sharp "edge" on the grass (usually 90 degrees) so that it gives it a crisp, clean look.

After you run your edger over the area a couple of times, it actually takes very little time at each mowing, unless you are talking extremely long drives.

I finally learned to do a decent job with my trimmer, so generally use the trimmer, then about every 3rd or 4th mowing, run all the edges with the edger again.

As for charging, I agree it should just be figured in to the total time it takes to service the property, just like the trimming and blowing.