1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help with engine performance problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowclt, Sep 30, 2006.

1. mowclt

mowclt LawnSite Member

Just bought a WB with a Kaw 17HP. It runs strong when cold and when it warms up it starts to act up. I can usually keep it from stalling by choking it. If I shut it down for 10-15 minutes it will run fine again until it gets hot. Anyone have any ideas? Plugs have been changed, fuel filter looks brand new.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ignition coil(s) bad.

Is this a single cylinder or V-twin?

If a V-twin, the next time it acts up pull one of the spark plug boots off while the engine is running, note if there is any change in engine performance. If not then reattach and pull the other side off, the engine should die or run VERY poorly when you remove one of the boots. Replace the ignition coil the is on the opposite side of the boot that when removed causes engine to run poorly.
  3. mowclt

mowclt LawnSite Member

This is a v-twin. Makes sense that a coil could break down when it gets hot but I'm curious why it would smooth out (for a short time) when choked. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.