Need help with estimate. . .

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by no1knosme12203, Apr 5, 2006.

1. no1knosme12203

no1knosme12203 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    My name is Nick and I am 16.I was just asked about doing a decent size job ( for me that is ) and I can't figure out how long it will take me, so I can't figure out how much to charge.The job includes doing the following :

Digging up 7 dead bushes
    Digging up 10 small dead shrubs
    Weeding a 3 X 10 garden
    Weeding a 3 X 15 garden
    Clean up leaves out of 5 X 10 garden
    Pick up cement ( little pieces on the grass) on a 10 X 10 area

So what do you all think? I think it will take me between 5 and 6 hours to do, but im not sure if thats way to much time? how long would it take you ( 1 man crew).

I would appreciate any type of help : )

Thanks in advance,
    Nick

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

my price would be around 400.00

3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Really depends on the size of the shrubs and bushes. If they aren't mature and can come out relitively easy then $400 may be a good price. On the other hand if they are large 30 yr old yews, it may be to low. Also, when you rip up the bushes do you have to regrade and seed? maybe it wasn't dicussed but the customer might expect it. It's better to bring that up now from a c.s. standpoint.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. Regardless I think it will take more than 6 hours to do the job well (correctly). JMO...

5. no1knosme12203

no1knosme12203 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. She told me that maybe later we could get dirt and spread it, and also mulch it. She said that she wanted to wait to spread the dirt and mulch later, because she is busy working on the house, and wants to wait on that. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Nick

6. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

When your giving an estimate on how long it will take, I would atleast add on half of the original time...just to cover your ass when it takes longer than expected.

7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

350-550 depends

8. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the size of the shrubs and the amt of weeds , i would figure uder an hour fir us with a 3 man crew. if it was close by maybe 120.00 if it took us 6 hours we would be around 240. the market around here wont let us make $70.00 an hour pulling weeds or raking leaves.

9. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

How big are the root balls/stumps. Around here not many places take them and when they do it is pretty expensive. Just try to figure every possible angle first and what your true cost is not just the time you may spend at the actual site.

10. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be charging about $150 maybe a little higher if it looked like it could possibly take a little longer; stubborn bushes, a ton of leaves, over kill of weeds.