Need help with estimate!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by scag2015, Mar 26, 2014.

1. scag2015

scag2015 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey all:), I'll be doing about a 4acre property this year, it's just me, I will be using a 42in lawn tractor I estemate it will take around 3.5-4 hours. There is still a good bit of trimming to, including a ditch, about 30 trees throughout the property, overall it's pretty open, al little hilly on the front. Operating cost for me would probably be about (I'm very very small company (not so much a company yet) and operating cost is not much) $30. (By the way it's a good friend and it's only half a mile away, and I'm 14 so I can't drive but could probably just ride mower to site:) (so basically I want to give them a good deal:) is around $150 sound good? Probably a once a week kind of mowing, possibly 10 days, but probably once a week. Thank you so so much!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Unless you have walked this property I bet it will take more like 7 to 8 hours total time. How do you plan to transport additional equipment?. What happens when your mower go"s down?. Will you have a back up mower to use?. Do you have any rainy day $$$ to pay for these unexpected expenses?. Sight unseen I would not try a property like you described for less than $200.00 per visit.
    easy-lift guy

3. scag2015

yes I've walked the property, and also have a "rainy day fund" If mower goes down. But I'll be using a new (only 10hours but used from a guy) 42in cub cadet lawn tractor, so it's a alright mower, nothing like a scag:) it's pretty open and not many obstacles at all for the most part. I think I could do the mowing in about 2.5-3 hours then trim and blow (just a driveway and porch and road to blow) in about 45min to a hour. As of more equipment I might just either borrow my grandpas trailer, or take other equipment either holding a trimmer, back pack blower on back and a gas can a feet or the bett option, also borrowing my grandpas yard trailer that could go on the mower to transport equipment. Thanks!, keep em coming!:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. scag2015

Oh and I guess I would have a backup mower, just maybe me and a brother of mine and two self propelled 21in mowers:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. scag2015

Or actually if I HAD to my grandfather has a john deer 230 lawn tractor that I might could use one time waiting on my mower to be fixed:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the answers. I believe transporting your additional equipment the way you suggested is dangerous.
    Get you Grandfather to transport the additional items and if you have to drive the mower over to the account stay off the road at all cost. Very dangerous, more than likely illegal. At least get an Safety Triangle to post on the back of the mower. Travel on the shoulder of the road.
    easy-lift guy

7. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

^^Hmm, agreed. I would go about $200-225 for it. Be safe. I do my parents 2 acres for about $70 on a ztr. Takes a little over an hour for everything. Add the time up, shoot $65-$75 an hour and go from there.

8. scag2015

Thanks! And agreed, keep me coming. By the way like I said it is a good friends yard and I need the work but also want to give them a good deal:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

Don't get caught giving too many deals to "family and friends." But understand your thoughts. Everyone knows someone. Honestly, some of my family and friends have been the worst nightmare customers. They want it for cheaper and expect top of the line service because you are family, its a slippery slope. It has to be worth your while to show up, do not forget that fact. The Pope would'nt even get me to break even on a job lol. Well, maybe just the Pope.

10. scag2015

:) thanks:) and the customer/friend is actually great, I myself just want to get them a good deal, but they are willing to pay me because it goes to a friend and gets the job done, instead of going to someone they don't know and paying more. Thank you so much and I understand what you mean and agree with that, and will do that:)
    Posted via Mobile Device