need help with exmark lazer z engine replacement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fitzg2md, Aug 9, 2007.

1. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

Hi all. I am replacing the engine in an older Lazer Z. The motor it came with is a Kolher CH23 (23 horsepower). I have been looking at prices, and the Kohler 27 horsepower is basically the same price. So I want to upgrade while Im at it. Heres the problem:

The motor i have now is spec number 76513. The model of the engine I want to use is the Kohler CH740. I need to figure out the spec number that emark uses for this engine. The CH23 and CH740 are the same size block, but I need to make sure the shafts are the same length, diameter etc.

Has anyone done this before, or can anyone offer any guidance? Exmark hung up on me when I called! (I think they were busy??)

2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

they are going to be able to help you the best.

06 on up full size lazers used a ch740-0075 27 hp if that helps.

Not sure if wiring is a direct plug in, clutch fits, muffler ect.

Exmark has your answer.

3. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

well for anyone else wondering, i figured it out myself. Exmark wasnt very helpful, though this was an odd request. CH740-0075 is a replacement with these things that need to be changed.

1. Shaft is 1 and 1/8 instead of 1" so a new clutch is needed.
    2. engine pulley on the hydro side is the same
    3. exact same outside dimensions
    4. ch740-0045 is the exact same as ch740-0075 however it also includes a new muffler.

just in case anyone searched for this in the future.

4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

how much is a new motor?

5. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

can get a brand new 27 horse kohler with a 2 year factory warranty for 1650 delivered to my door.

6. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

What company are you getting it from ? That's a very good price, I think I paid like 1700.00 for a 25 hp about three years ago.

7. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com

very good prices...free shipping, and no tax! Just ordered the engine (decided to just replace the original instead of changing to a 27) so I cant speak for them yet, but so far so good.

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

you must not be a legit business. you better not deduct that cost on your taxes without filing your state sales use tax. if you ever get audited this is the first thing they check. to make sure you pay your state tax for things you bought outside of the state.

9. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

well let me rephrase...no state sales tax at time of sale.

10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i posted the info you needed minutes before your post. sorry i didn't see it sooner. That's an easy answer.

Exmark could have given yout he part number for the clutch. 103-3246 i believe is the number for the clutch. List is a little over 200 from exmark.

PTO belt might be a a little different too. Won't know till it's on.