Need help with Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisk, May 24, 2002.

1. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

I am ready to buy my first commercial walk behind. I am going with the exmark Turf Tracer hp 52 or 60 inch deck.
    My question is do I get the pistol grips or the new ECS ??

I've never used either in the field just messing with them at my dealer.

Also I think I know this already but I should get the 60 over the 52 right???????

Thanks

2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

chris,
    all i can say man is to Demo one with ECS. ECS vrs pistol grips is personal prefferance. i am now having probs with my wrist due to computer work and pistol grips. i am thinking of adding ecs to my metro i have to help. on the 52 or 60 deck size. you already are planning on getting a floating deck so either will work but the thing is do you have alot of wide open space yards or some with alot of dips and valleys that could still cause the deck to scalp. most of my yards a 60 could do some scalping even with the floating deck. i have almost scalped some with a 52 before so i know a 60 will do it. just weigh out your yards you do cut then decide. larger flat yards, get the 60.

Scot

3. Doh!

Doh! LawnSite Member

don't know about the grips, but a 60'' walkbehind might be too much. Although you have flat lawns now, you won't always.

I have to do "wheelies" several times a day to get over curbs, dips in lawns, etc. with my 52''. I've used a 60" to do this and the deck is a lot heavier. Really, 52" is the way to go for any walkbehind, then later on move up to a 60" rider. That's when the extra 8" will matter. Right now you should think about versatility.

4. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Exmark doesn't make a tt hp in a 60". They only make a 60" in the full size turf tracer. They make a 52" in either. The full size TT has elec.start, elec clutch and hour meter and for 2002 the ultra-cut deck.

5. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Sorry got off track there. Definetly go with the ECS, I have two now and love em. So much more comfortable over long period. I stuck with the HP a 36" and a 48". The full size TT's just seem to big to still be a walk behind.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I think that a 60" WB is a little large, and the cost is close to that of a Lazer! I'd go with a Lazer, given the choice! Thats a LOT of deck to be just walking behind!

52" is a nice size WB, and performs well on all but the smallest lawns.

7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i've got a 52"tracer (like a 99 model )pistil grips ....I't (SWEET) get a sulky an your set!!

8. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

On smaller lawns the 52" is perfect. Some of our lawns have courtyards. We arent able to get a 60 inch past the iron gates, but the 52" slides right past.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I find that my 48 TT HP is the perfect size for my lawns - mostly 1/4 to 1 acre. I find that a lot of landscape designs only have 4 foot of space. I'd be using my trim mower a lot more if I had a 52 inch. I can also get it in my truck bed if I have to. It would be nice to have a little more on the trim side to keep my arms out of bushes however.

10. First off get the ECS because Exmark wont be making pistol grips much longer.

Second Deck size. 52" is a good all around mower size.

If you go with the non hp turf tracer, you wont be sorry for spending the extra money.

Option, I think you will need;

1) Kohler 23hp electric start

2) Hour meter

3) Electric blade clutch

4) Parking brake

5) Air filter system

6) 5.5" deep Ultra cut deck

7) Larger front and rear tires

8) Much wider stance over the hp

All of these options add up and are well worth it over the HP.

These will save you time in the long run, and make you more money over the years.

Pistol grips, don't waste time learning them, they will be in Exmrks past.

I have gotten to use one a few times, and it takes some getting used to over the pistol grip Turf Tracer, but if you start on one you should do alright.