1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Fert/Weed Control!!!

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by CRQualityMowing, Oct 15, 2012.

1. CRQualityMowing

CRQualityMowing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am new to fertilizer and weed control and needing help. I am located in southern Ohio and looking for a simple application schedule for three to four times a year and what types of products I should use. Most of the grass here is bluegrass and fescue. Thanks in advance for any help. Anything is much appreciated.

2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Spring April - Fert / pre / Weed Control

Summer June - Fert / Weed control spot

Fall Sept - Fert / Weed control

You can spot treat for weeds all 3 times or do a blanket 1 or 2 times a year
    For weed control use a 3 way and a adjvent
    Fert some thing with 50% slow release or more talk to a suppler
    What suppler are you going to use

Charles Cue

3. CRQualityMowing

from Ohio

The schedule you have is kinda the one I am going to go by. What about a post emergent for weeds for late may or early june for weeds? Depending on the severness of weeds I may do a blanket but I would rather spot control. I plan on using lesco/johndeerelandscapes. Like I said I'm new to this. All that I have learned is from what I've read or found on the Internet. I had been using the osu extension website too. I have found it very helpful.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. CHARLES CUE

You will find out that if it's a new yard the first year the weeds will come back in june. And some times you will need to do a blanket spray than but once the weeds are under control you will most lickly only need to spot spray in june. You know you can only do 2 blanket weed controls with 2 4 D. I would get prices from others like Advanced turf and Agrium advanaced Tech they have better prices.

Charles Cue

5. CRQualityMowing

from Ohio

Is there a certain kind of fertilizer that you would use? I know slow release but I'm not sure which kind? The only reason I was using lesco was bc it was the closest supplier to me. I will definitely look at the two you mentioned though. Are you in Ohio? What pesticides/herbicides/ferts do you use and have the best luck with?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CHARLES CUE

I use poly coated sulfur coated urea

The 3 way just depends on what co your buying from advanced turf has 3some and Agrium has Mecamine D they are about the same they change the % of each one of the A&I

I am in WV about 30 miles from the ohio river

Charles Cue