Need help with Fescue renovation on previously sodded yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I want to reseed my Tall Fescue lawn but I have somewhat of a problem. First off, this is my first time doing this. I bought some sod about the end of May and fortunately most of it survived. But a lot of it has thinned out and died. It looks no where as good as it did when we first laid it. (installers didn't do anything to the soil pH levels). I have some bare spots and lots of brown patches. I just raked off the dead grass this wknd and I noticed that there's a plastic web mesh that was used to hold the sod together. It made it impossible to scratch up the soil without pulling up this mesh along with the living grass. So how do I prepare the soil for seeding with the plastic all through the soil? Can I just aerate without damaging the living grass?

Also, I'm getting a quote to aerate and over-seed for $140 for about 1500sq ft of yard. Is that reasonable or should I do it my self?

BTW: I live in Atlanta, GA

2. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

Hmmm...

$140/1500sqft =$0.093/sqft. So it would be over $2000 to aerate and overseed 1/2 acres!!!

I just overseeded my ~1/2 acre (22,000 sqft) lawn for ~$150. Which works out to $0.0068.

$75 for 50# of titan ltd. tall fescue delivered
    $50 on an aerator/dethatcher/overseeder (the billy goat can do it all)
    $25 on starter fertilizer

Of course I don't have workers comp, insurance and I don't know what the labor rates are in Atlanta... but still ~14x more expensive seems a bit high. Are you sure it was just for aeration and overseeding?

3. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

There was also something in the quote about raising pH levels. When I told them I only wanted the front done, they said that was the flat rate for my size yard, nothing lower.

4. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

Ok so he's putting limestone down too. The flat rate makes sense now if 1500sqft is ALL he's doing... no matter how small your lawn is, he's got send a crew out during busy season. Here in upstate, NY... It's typically ~$50/person to come out to one's house for any kind of work. So if he's got 2~3 guys coming out and already spent some time quoting the job, I doubt he's making any money on this job.

5. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

3 guys to seed 1500 ft2 ????

6. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

leejp is right.... $50 for seed, $25 for fert, $50 for aerate, and add $6 if you want the 1 1/2 to 2 bales of hay to cover it as mulch.

I just did 1100 ft2 last week---took about 1-1.5 hrs total time by myself. I wasn't working hard either.

If he has to send out two guys for your job it will still come out to 2 man hours plus materials and travel.

He ain't getting rich at your place!

7. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

Agreed. I also just found out I have a grub problem too. I don't know how to get rid of them. I guess the quote just got higher. I'm thinking about just killing everthing and starting all over.