Need help with Firepit

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Mar 18, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I've been wanting to install a firepit for a client for a while but I've never really pushed it because I am not confident we could do one correctly, having never done it before.

So I've been looking for a guinea pig to test our skills on. And our office manager, who hired us last year to install a nice flagstone patio, said he'd volunteer to let us give it a whirl. So now I am just in the planning stage, and I need some help, ideas.

I know I could do it with some sort of segmental re.
    taining wall product. But I was thinking we'd do it in ledgestone - mortared. He wants it to be a gas firepit - one that would use a portable propane tank to fuel it.

So I was thinking stacked, mortared ledgestone in a circle. And maybe we put mortar all along the inside walls but the outside we try to keep the mortar hidden as much as possible. Then I have two options for the propane tank. I could either put it inside the firepit, and cover it up with a round metal grate and faux logs. Or I could hide a pipe under the flagstone patio going into the firepit and still have a metal grate and faux logs. But then the propane tank would be 10' away, and the owner could simply disconnect it from the hose, and take it to get refilled, without having to ever open the firepit up.

Below are some pictures that sort of represent what I am trying to do. Anyone done this? Have pictures? I am also looking for technique tips for how to build and ideas for where to get the metal grate and faux (ceramic) logs.

04_03A.jpg

6_FirePit_Rock.jpg

1127412275.jpg

arbor12.jpg

firepit.jpg

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If you go with a tiny one like that, and want to go gas, i'd go with the colored glass vs the fake logs.

On a design i am working on i am designing a 8 ft tall fireplace. My mason says we can do it for around 10k. If my client shoots it down because of cost i am going to try to do a 3ft natural stone circle with the gas and propane.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We always did ours here out of large boulders with no mortar. We also did some with a flagstone veneer, very common here. We those it was made with 8x8x16 and covered the outside with flagstone and did the inside with fire bricks like you would use inside a fireplace hearth or pizza oven. I think the heat on exposed mortar would give you some warranty issues over time. But then we were always overly cautious too.

4. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Jim
    Here are some pics of one we did last year.....

I would definitely use caution in the placement of your tank. I would reconsider your thought of having the tank close to the flame.....definitely seperate the two. In our application we hooked directly into the main system of the house....which had to be inspected. It runs off its own regulator on the house and has a valve at the "log" unit inside the pit to turn the propane off and on. The main structure is mortared fieldstone capped with an irregular bluestone mortared cap. The stone work sits on an 18" reinforced concrete base that we put a drain into that pipes to daylight to keep water from building up within the firepit. Pretty easy really.....I can't recall who we got the log unit from but I'll look it up for you. I believe we found them online.

firepit.JPG

firepit2.JPG

firepit3.JPG

5. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

I too am looking at doing a fire pit, or an outdoor fireplace. Has anyone done an outdoor fireplace from using the kits from "Firerock"?

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I understand where you'd say that. It doesn't seem smart. But I got the idea from looking at pre-fabbed firepits they sell at a local fireplace and outdoor store here in town. Many of the units they had on display, had the tank right inside the firepit.

Thanks for the nice pics! And help...

7. MarcusLndscp

Wow, that surprises me about the tank inside the pit, not that I'm doubting what you say. When we had the above pictured pit inspected, the inspector was questionable about the placement of the valve that was right at the unit but he approved it in the end when we asked where a better place for it would be. How do the systems you've shown operate?

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Marcus - They look like this and the LP tank is stored below.:hammerhead:

Chris

firepit_gas_tuscany_1.jpg

9. MarcusLndscp

hey thanks Chris, you're always such a wealth of knowledge..;)

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes I surprise myself.:rolleyes:

Chris