Need help with fixing mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryan Lightning, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

My mower slowly got worse, It will not cut though thick grass that it use to plow right through. The blade speed will slow, the belt will start to slip and make noise, and it will also slow Rpms. I even tryed side discharging and it will bog down, pretty easy.
    I dont think there related, but the 17hp Kawisaiki, is having a problem with the govener going up and down, It dont do all the time, but thats how it started a month ago. Last time we changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil, coils, fule pump, carb. and it was fixed a week are so, then it did it again, and freind said the bolt on govener was loose and we adjusted the carb, and some how it was fixed for a few more weeks, and here Iam again.
    This mower only has 200 hours. Thanks for any help!

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

is the mower still under warranty? always check the obvious, fuel, fire, and air. if the problems fixed for awhile after looking at these, you may have bad fuel or a piece of trash in your carb, floating freely and stopping up o0n occasion. hope this helps
    tim

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I HOPE it's something simple like this, but boy,...with the description of it going down under load, I don't know. It doesn't sound good. Take it in and have a compression check done on it, because these are same symptoms of bad rings, or a bad gasket.

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Does anyone think I could have a clutch problem? The engine Rpms, were at 3400 while I was mowing today, and the blades just dont sound like they are going as fast as they should.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

something simple as the type of air filter could be a problem. Had that problem with one of our 48" mowers. We decided to save some money and get some no-named air filters. Big mistake. It was restricting the air flow. Switched over to a better quality one and made the difference

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you adjusted the blade belt tension? Mine has been loose in the past and it has shown similar symptoms. In your owners manual it says how tight to make the belts. Its a simple process that needs to be kept on top of. Sorry i cant help with your motor.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think so, unless they are cutting out completly, and starting again. Most times when a clutch goes bad it wont work at all, or will stay engaged no matter what. It soounds like a carburater problem to me. Maybe a idle screw broken off or something.

8. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are hearing a belt slip and make noise, that is where I would start looking.

9. J lawn

J lawn LawnSite Member

Im new but this is something I can actually help with I maybe. I actually use to wrench on these things. As far as the belt slipping if it is already tight then take it off completely and check each idler pulley for free spinning and slop. If even one is sloppy it can be problems when the bearings get hot. if they are fine check each spindle to be free spinning and slop in the bearings. when they get hot and expand the bearings compress against the outside housing and get hard to turn. As far as the motor this is tougher. try checking for a leak behind the carb. run the machine until it starts to act up and spray soapy water at the back of the carb look for bubbles. if there are bubbles it is sucking air.you can also try carb cleaner but I would try soapy water first then carb cleaner. hope this helps

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Yep........I had an intake gasket go and it was running poorly.