Need help with FRONT DECK MOWER!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AtoZ, Jan 15, 2007.

1. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

Just wanting to know if any one has any experience with out front mowers mainly used for spring and fall cleanups, it will only see occasional use as a dedicated mower...

Walker is out of the question as the local dealer is 3 hours away...
    Option #1 The Exmark Navigator - Walker Copy-Cat or
    The Exmark Front Runner - both have collection systems

Option #2 Grasshopper 932 - Kubota 3 cyl. gas 32 horse, 61" deck, power lift, full collection system and a 60" out front dethatcher.

Option #3 Kubota F3680 4wd, 36 horse diesel, 60" fine cut deck, 72" deck, full collection system

What are your thoughts??? Any better suggestions for a better collection system that I might not know of... I used to use my buddies Walkers for my cleanups, but he has since sold all of them to buy Exmark mid-mounts with no collection systems. Thanks

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I really think you would be happy w/ any of those. I personally like the look of the Exmark. I've never really been a fan of how the Grasshoppers look.

3. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

grass hopper make a front deck mower

4. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

Grasshopper makes both mid-mounts and front-mounts...

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Good lord, the 3 choices you listed are night and day different from one another! The exmark is 48" cut at the most, the hopper is a 61" and the Kubota is a 72"

What are you needing this for? if it's for general mowing, normal to larger lawns I'd rule the 72" out. Just too big and too heavy with that huge diesel engine.

Dumbest statment I see, " i just don't like the look of the grasshoppers" OMG, they are brown and tan and you don't like brown and tan, thus you don't even TRY one... that's nuts right there. lol!

Personally I think you would be very happy with the Grasshopper. Heck it even comes with the rake for you to use in the spring with clean-ups and even works awesome in the fall for "dethatching", thus making it earn even more money! The Kubota gas engine will last 4,000+ hours easy, and then can be rebuilt. The gas engine on the Exmark will likely not last over 1,500 hours and need replaced. The diesel, well it will outlast me, lol.

6. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

i have a g/h 721d with 1700 hrs. 90% for cleanups. does a great job. biggest negative is not very good on hills/slopes. sidehill, rear of mower slides downhill. won't climb uphill unless you use hyd deck lift to put weight on drive tires. then your deck is off the ground....

7. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

Other than sideslopes and going uphill - any other negative aspects with the Grasshopper for cleanups? Does it have enough suction like the Walker GHS Mowers? Thanks for your input with your 721...

Z

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Dude, if your in hilly country, the Front Runner is even worse than the Navigator.
    Both of these machines slide easier than a cow on ice.
    I own a Navigator and my crews absolutely fight over who runs it during leaf season. I demoed a Front Runner for over eight days and about fifty hours and I didn't like it one bit. Doesn't pass the boss test, ain't getting on my trailers.
    Supposedly ExMark is going to release specs for a low profile knobbie like what you can get on a Walker but so far no info. I plan on changing once I get the go ahead on my warranty question.
    I personally have no experience with Grasshoppers other than idle, tire kicking, hey it looks well built kind of thing.

9. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

no other real negatives. plenty of "suction". we have a lot of pine straw in my area which really lays "close" to the ground. no problem getting it up w/high lift blades, along with pine cones, sticks, magnolia pods, etc.

10. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

john deere makes a front mower with a steering wheel and four wheel drive if you want to spend over $12000.00