Need help with grass seed selection

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JABBERS, Mar 25, 2009.

1. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I live in NE OHIO. I'm really not up to date on the grass seed available. I usually use a Fairlawn seed mix to do some spot seeding. My Brother and sister in-law bought a new house and guess what no yard. I'm looking for something durable and carpet like nice and thick. Does anyone have any suggestions about whats worked good for them? Thanks

2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a local lebanon turf dealer for good fescue. I use a fescue locally called mustang, its been around awhile and works great.

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it full sun if so go to lesco and use the premium athletic mix. Avoid fescue he is in the south west aka transition zone you are not. It is 80% blue 20% rye. That is it great color, great germination, good wear and drought tolerance once established. You can seed it now and plug and overseed again in fall by spring of next year the lawn will be sweet. Pm if you got questions.

4. Groomer

Drew, your right about the fescue, it works well here, but we are in the "weird" zone. Ironically, after a little research, I'm thinking of going back to a fescue/bluegrass blend after useing strictly fescue for years.

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Scotts introduced a new "thermal blue" variety. Quite expensive, but for family I think I'd try it. It claims to have a heat stress resistant blue grass, a new hybrid. They also introduced a new seed coating, a corn starch derivative that coats each seed and acts like a sponge to hold moisture on the seed much longer. University studies indicate it's as good as Scotts says it is.

Too expensive to use on my biz side, but for my home and family jobs, I will likely try it this year.

6. Groomer

I'll check into the new scotts blue, sound like what we're looking for. I'm not afraid to pump the water when the rain slacks off. I know a lot of people say let lawns go dormant in dry conditions, but I can't.

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly why I mentioned it... it is supposed to hold up very well with no water at 95 degrees for two weeks. I saw some pics of the tests. Can't remember which university did the tests, but it was one of the major players.

I was at my regular supplier today, they carry Scotts, but I think at least in my area right now, it's only being marketed at the retail level... Lowes stuff, and the small private nurseries in rather small bags. Still, I will try it.

When it comes to seed, Scotts is high quality stuff. Because of their home owner market targeting, we tend to off them, but they do produce some very high quality stuff.

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

tall fescue works great in northest ohio. if you were to compare all the types of grasses in our area tall fescue would be on top.

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

you all bring up good points but what is the best for the desired effect and application. Tall fescue is great but not as appealing as KBG. You have to find the happy medium! Thermal Blue (Scotts tradename) is a good variety but this is the third time they have released this variety. Texas University(longhorns) have done the test plots recently and have their own variety. I woud stick to the Lesco Premium Athletic Mix best all around. I am not all about Lesco but year after year their blends win. Only draw back is the types of pereenial rye grass they choose tend to get a lot of rust the first 2-3 years until it grows out of the juvenile stage.

Also give us the facts how big area are you seeding what is soil conditions. Did they leave any topsoil, Compostcan they water. when are you gonna plant.

10. Groomer

Ryegrass is what keeps me away from the blends, I've got a well established fescue, and just want a little blue without rye. The Texas blend sounds perfect for the original poster though.