Need help with HOA bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harshman, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Harshman

Harshman LawnSite Member

I was given the opportunity to submit a bid for an HOA in a prominent country club here in the Dallas area.

The bid is for trimming 149 trees throughout the HOA in order to allow the grass to grow beneath them. I have never had a bid this big and would appreciate in suggestions you may have.

Thank you in advance.

The photo is the average tree and yes they are all the same type tree. All between 35 and 45 feet tall.

View attachment Firewheel HOA 138.jpg

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I would make sure you have proper insurance at 45 feet and that close to power lines.
    You might ask this same question on arboristsite.com

3. Harshman

Harshman LawnSite Member

I guess I should also add that this is one part of a five part bid.

#2 - Replace 8 sprinkler controllers with remote systems.
    #3 - Remove two dead trees and replant 2 new ones.
    #4 - Sod bare spots in common areas. (around 15,000sqft. Still getting measurements for this.)
    #5 - Annual maintenance for 11 acres of common areas to include;

Shrub trimming (5 times/yr) approx 6,000 linear feet.
    Ant control (5 times/yr)
    Flower bed maint (5 times/yr) 8 beds approx 4.5ft x 30ft.
    Aerate (3 times/yr) 160,000sqft
    Pre and post emergent weed control (6 time combined) 160,000sqft.
    Fertilize (4 times/yr) 160,000sqft.
    General trash clean up of common areas.
    And lets not forget METB (mow, edge, trim, and blow) of 11 acres.

34 - 36 visits per year.

4. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

All I can say is I wish you the best of luck with that job.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Hello to another Texan. I think this depends on how much and what type of equipement you have. If this were me I would get a tree service, irrigation service and chemical service to bid these parts and I would figure the maintenance and install. You can combine all these and turn in one bid. To me it easier to bid what I know the best and let other things get bid by the ones that specialize in other things. On small stuff I can kinda wing it. This size I want to be correct.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Might not be what you want to hear, but when I have to ask how I should bid a job, I know I am in over my head. Some risk taking is acceptable to me.... but if I have to ask others how to bid it.... this is no 3 yard mulch job that you can afford to make a mistake with. I know my limitations, and stay within them.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We just finished working on about the same amount of trees on a HOA and it isn't as bad as you think. The contract called for raising the underside from 6' to 9' over a two year period and this was second year. It took us two days with 6 people. We cut everything from the ground with the top end Echo pole saw but some stubs done with regular chain saw. These trees were scattered over about a mile in several areas some along busy street. We hauled everything to a staging area where we had the big Vermeer chipper and chipped into a huge dumpster. Two guys cut the stuff down and I drove the truck with three guys and picked up stuff and stacked it ready for the chipper. When the two finished cutting they went to the chipper and put it through. It took about 6 hours of chipping and we put it thru pretty fast...this was huge diesel chipper.

8. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

This one sounds to big for you to srart on.

9. lawnmagicinc

lawnmagicinc LawnSite Member
    from jax fl

what you could do is call the power companey an see if thay can trim the ones that are right neer the power lines thay might not charge you any thing .but if that does not work out for you rent a lift an chiper .and go from there say x$ for each tree an then get a bid from tree service thack there price ad 10%and go with that an then all you got to do is make shure it gets done and you get paid then you can pay the tree companey

10. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

For one they are not very big trees. And depending on what they want done the amount of work could be minimal (a good pole saw would be necessary). Are they just looking to have them raised or are they looking to have the interiors thinned out also. Anyway I would look at one tree and figure out total time and cost for trimming and cleanup and multiply it by 149 (obviously add in your expenses). Think of it this way what would you do If there was only one of these trees, it wouldn't be a real big deal then. Of course I do not know what your crew size is but even if there were only 2 or 3 of you and the HOA didn't care how long it took you could set yourself up with a good bit of work.