Need help with Honda generator

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Travis Followell, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Its several years old and it has the GX160 engine. The problem is it's not getting a spark. I've put a new ignition module on it and sanded the magnet on the flywheel and the off/on switch seems to be ok. I'd appreciate any help.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Does this engine have the low oil shut-down ? If so unplug the wire coming out of the block if I remember it should be yellow then check it again if still nothing unplug the black kill wire from the switch and check.
    What did you set the module to flywheel air gap at ? Should be .010
    Have you tried a new plug ? I've seen NGK plugs just up and stop firing.
    This should keep ya busy a few minutes anyways lol Just shout back if none of these tell ya anything.

3. Travis Followell

from KY

I found out what it was. It was the low oil shut down cause when I disconnected the wire it fired right up. Am I correct in thinking that the engine would have to be tore down to replace it because I took the nut off but couldn't pull it out.

Another question- I'm working on a 18 hp briggs opposed twin for somebody and I got fuel pump trouble. The pump won't pick up the fuel. There's nothing in the fuel line to keep the fuel from flowing and i've rebuilt the pump. I put my thumb over the vaccum line and cranked the motor and there's a strong vaccum but if I take the fuel line off the pump and put my thunb over it it's not sucking at all and i've rebuilt the pump. Again thanks for the help.

4. Restrorob

Your right on the Honda the side cover has got to come off to replace the unit inside. The wire runs through the block and plugs into the unit inside.

As for the Briggs, There are three different style fuel pump configurations used. If you will post the model and type numbers I will take a look at it and give you a idea of what to check.

5. Travis Followell

from KY

Model- 422707
    Type- 125601
    code- 9403165B

6. Restrorob

I put a little dab of grease on the two pins that the small brass springs sit on to hold them in place while assembling, It's possible one of these moved out of position on you. And the larger spring could have pushed the diaphragm in such a way where the little flapper valves are miss algined with the ports, When assembling this type pump make sure the alginment pin is right on when you put it on the carb. just a little movement side to side to algin can throw the little flappers off. These type pumps are touchy to assemble for the above reasons so I would suggest take it back apart and double check it. There isn't really much to keep one from working properly other than the diaphragm.

7. Restrorob

Here is a carb. break-down just in case you need it.