Need help with how much to charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phoenixblack, May 12, 2010.

1. Phoenixblack

Phoenixblack LawnSite Member

I'm helping my dad do some yards, he's 70 but healthy as anything can be at that age. We usually do small yards/ business with push mowers, rarely a riding. This older lady wants us to do her Pasture, we are in Tx btw, She's around Eagle's Landing Avinger, I don't know if anyone here knows of it. Anyway's it's her mower a John Deere 54 inch zero turn, but her pasture is 12 acres, my dad said it's basically in the woods, but there is alot of openess. She also wants her fenceline trimmed. My dad has never had a circumstance like this and doesn't know what to charge. He has never used anyone else's equipment, nor did this much land. He told her maybe 12/hr. In my opinion the trimming alone is worth 20 minimum, what do you guys think? That's a BIG fenceline.

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you need to mow a pasture? Isint livestock suppose to "mow it for us?
    Posted via Mobile Device

oh btw I have no idea what you would charge but 12$ seems kind of low...

3. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I would pass on this big of a job or refer her to someone else, as you clearly do not know how to bid properties, not bashing you ,but you will get screwed if you work this for $12 an hour! For 12 acres open, and it sounds like this pasture is mixed open and forest? well, just for an wide open 12 acres mowing, I would shoot for about $700 per mowing, and if it is heavily woodedand with all the fence line trimming, try about $1000. per cut. Are you sure she doesnt want this bush hogged a few times a year? I dont know many people that would pay to have a 12 acre field mowed every week? She could be making money off the hay someone could harvest from it, they do that like 3 times a year up here.

4. Phoenixblack

I guess it's just a big open field, I havent seen it, and like I said it is her mower, and no I don't know how to bid on anything, I'm helping my dad. Where we are at, there's not alot of professional companies doing anything, just a bunch of small towns and country. All I know is, according to her it takes a couple of afternoons to mow with her mower, so probably 4 hours? But that much trimming, I don't know. My dad will do it, he's like that, I want to help, but don't want him ( or me ) to get screwed over. If you guys were doing this, with her mower, just an open field, then some trees here and there, how much would you charge?

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So why can't your dad come here and ask the dang question?

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

If its a true commercial unit try about 6-8 hours mowing alone. That is at least 10 12 hours of line trimming. If its a stamped deck residential mower it will be wore slap out in a month.

7. Phoenixblack

Cause he's a 70 year old man, idiot. God is everyone on this site like this? I'm asking for help, he doesn't ask for help, he's a stubborn man that does it all himself. Screw it, I'll go find a Texan forum, you yankees don't know anything about alot of land lmao.

8. MikeKle

Try to find out the model of that mower, That much ground will still be hard on a commercial mower week after week though, and if it is a homeowner model, fuggettaboutit! However, if it is a capable mower, and she is paying for the fuel too, I would tell her at least $500-$600, it is still your time. Do not price this by the hour, do it by the job.

9. MikeKle

Geez, calm down a bit! If he is 70 yrs old, should he really be out mowing 12 acres of land anyway?! You have to expect a few questions if you come on here and ask a vague "bid this for me" question. there is so many variables involved, it is hard to give a quick black and white answer.

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

LMAO yeah us Yankees here in FL know absolutely nothing about cutting grass.