1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help With Hustler Sport Clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by slickmower, May 25, 2013.

1. slickmower

slickmower LawnSite Member

While using my 2010 Hustler Sport 48", the bolt holding the PTO Clutch fell out. Cutting operations of course ceased, found the bolt and washer and upon inspection of the bolt looks like the threads are stripped. So I'd like to take the clutch assembly off so I can better inspect the interal threads of the shaft, clean them out to ensure nothing is stripped inside.

1. I can't seem to figure out how to get the clutch assembly off. Does anyone know if it's just a press fit and any tricks to get it off? Manual says it's a CLUTCH WARNER I-5217-53 if that helps.

2. I also can't seem to get the bottom pulley back up into the clutch assembly so that it's flush. If I spin the bottom pulley I get to the point where it seems to "line up" and go up into the top part. So even if I just get another bolt and want to "screw it back in", I'm not able to catch any threads since it's not "all the way up"

(I also noticed the bolt length is 3 1/8", but the manual calls for a 3 1/2" bolt so I'm going to call Hustler on Tuesday and see what they say about this.)

Appriciate any help or direction anyone can provide, of course this happens on a holiday weekend.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic