Need help with insurance in Georgia

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Oct 5, 2004.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently passed the exams for Ornamental & Turf in Georgia. Since my business is new this year, I am now looking for general liabiility insurance that will also cover applying pesticides on an occasional basis.

So far, every insurance rep I've talked to is completely baffled by the pesticide thing. I have gotten ZERO information on a quote just yet.

I friend of mine in this biz said his yearly insurance is $5,000. I personally find that very hard to believe. If that is the case, I just wasted my time taking the pesticide exams.

Can anyone refer me to an agent in GA that understands this business?
  2. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think they are Tomko or something similar and they specialize in our biz. I know I should know who it is, but my ins guy gets paid to worry about all of that.

Write him. His addy is ... He's a good fella....Drew
  3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

yeah, $5000 is a bit much!

I can tell you all insurance companies seem to be baffled about pesticide coverage. Here in MA, on our yearly license renewal form, printed on the back is what is required by state for coverage. We just bring that to the insurance guy and tell him thats all we want
  4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ma here as well, I guess Im was lucky cause my local agent knew exactly what I needed, and never had any problems getting coverage.

I will check with my bookkeeper wed, to see who the insurance company is, Im sure its national, Im thinking travelers, but I could be wrong.

Also Ive seen adds for insurance companys in all the trade mags, I got too many laying all over my office I see if I can find some numbers for you. ( im at home now )
  5. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Hello Turf UNL

I get my insurance from Allen Insurance in Gainesville. Should be about $600.00 Also after you get the insurance don't forget to get your PCL (Pesticide Contractors License) if you don't do apps for someone with a PCL you must have one in GA even with the cat 24.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, the Pesticide Contractor's License is the trigger for all of this. You cannot get the license unless you have proof of insurance.

I really appreciate the referral. Gainesville is about 20 minutes from my home.

What area do you work in? May have seen you somewhere before.

This site is just priceless for issues like this. Thanks to all who chimed in.