Need help with John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thinksnow, Apr 9, 2008.

1. thinksnow

thinksnow LawnSite Member

I have an older JD walk behind, 54"/17Kawi. The other day I went to start it knowing the battery was kind of low. Well the starter went cluck-clunk then everything went dead. The ignition light was out, the starter did nothing when I turned the key. When I pull the blade engagement knob nothing happens. The whole system was powerless. The only fuse I could find was on the engine was above starter, it was fine. Any ideas? Is there another rely somewhere? What would shut everything down? HELP!
    Oh, I put the battery on a trickle charge and it now is fully charged but still no power in the mower.

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Connection bad? Had this happen on my truck before. Apparently corrosion had worked its way down the power cable from my battery towards the starter which wasn't giving me juice. Otherwise, I would be looking for disconnected/frayed cables if your fuses are good.

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Like the man said polish up all of the connections, and also check the battery to make sure it took the charge up

4. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Got an HD 75?

I had one years ago. Same issue, ended up being some spring inside the motor. Dealer fixed it for $300. I sold it the next week. That mower was OK, but it needed daily reapirs with only 1,200 hrs on it.