need help with landscaping price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LeviEdge, Jul 29, 2007.

1. LeviEdge

LeviEdge LawnSite Member

I've got a customer who needs a some light landscaping done but I'm not sure how much to charge. It's roughly 400 sqft of cleaning out rocks and roots where some large shrubs where dug up with a bobcat and spreading seed and fert over the whole yard that's about a half acre. The customer also wants the yard aerated. I figure it will be less than $100 for seed, fert and hay so I'm not sure how much to charge for the labor. It's a good customer so I want to give her a fair price I'm just not sure how much that is. I mostly just cut the grass so any help would be much appereciated.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search 1st, but charge your normal hourly rate. Being in business, you should already know how much you are charging per hour for your services. If not, figure out your costs & add on how much profit you'd like to make per hour.

3. LeviEdge

LeviEdge LawnSite Member

The customer wants a quote before I do it. I figure it will take me about 3-4 hours to do but it always seems to take me longer than I think it will. I was thinking about $300 for everything does that sound fair?

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

seed $100
    hay $40?
    Fert $40
    /4 hours = $30 per hour
    You need to charge more in my opinion.
    Try to get your per hour price to get up to around $60.
    Do you have a license to apply fert?
    If I were you I would charge around $400 and that would get me to around $55 per hour.
    If you have to rent an aerator add the price to the 400, along with anything else I missed.

5. LeviEdge

LeviEdge LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I've got an aerator but I didn't even know that there was a license to spread fert. It's good to hear a price from someone else so I know that I'm giving a fair price. Thanks again for the info.

6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about where you live but in minnesota I dont believe you need a license to apply fert you do need one to apply pesticides though.