Need help with landscaping slopes

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawn dogg, Feb 23, 2009.

1. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

Ive got a pretty steep slope that's only about 5' deep and 100' long that i need to landscape, cant decide whether to use shredded mulch or oyster shells. (both being available) the problem with using mulch is keeping it from washing down the hill, I am planning to use a fabric. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep the mulch in place. Ive heard of a product called mulchmagnet just wondering if anyone has used it. :confused:

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would use a larger landscaping rock such as 2.5inch river rock or something similar.

If the slope is too steep, I would maybe think about incorporating a creeping juniper in the design.

3. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

Most yards around here have the small creeping junipers like said above. The junipers should hold the mulch in place'

I've got a hill in my back yard that washes away. I've been planting monkey grass that I pull out of customers yards and planting it on the slope.

4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

pachysandra is a very prolific grower and would do great imo on a slope such as you discribed

5. White Gardens

Good call, but the area needs to be well shaded for it to thrive.

6. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I would not recommend using the matting on the slope. It's been my experience that this tends to allow for the mulch/rocks to slide easily on a "slicker" surface. In turn all of your mulch/rocks will end up at the bottom of the slope. Instead apply mulch/rocks at a depth of 3"-4" initially to get a good weed suppression. You may also want to incorporate creeping raspberry - non invasive and easily edged with a mechanical edger.

7. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I think you are in a rip wrap situation. If it is as steep as I am picturing, mulch, shells etc will end up down the hill in my experiences. The fabric - Jute mesh as it is known here is more designed for attempting to grow grass etc.

Another option would be to build a retaining wall either srw or 6x6 etc, and terrace it down. This will limit your slope some and you will be able to get your mulching materials to hols their own.

8. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful with adding a "permanent" structure as this may require some type of permit or engineering - depending on codes in your area.

9. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

Do you think it would be ok to plant junipers and nandina then put the creeping raspberry through out the shrubs or would the rasperry chock out the plants.
    This area has been sodded two years ago but just keep having problems with the grass because it doesnt hold any water so i will need to kill off the grass first. will the raspberry take over the grass quickly, dont want to have to deal with a bunch of grass growing all up through the area. also if i was to use a fabric then the raspberry would not be able to spread am i right about this thought.

10. White Gardens

Spray the area with round-up first.

If you use a weed barrier, then rock, you'll have no problems with weed suppression.

I would probably stick with either the Juniper, or the Raspberry, but not both. They'll end up growing together and it will look messy.

I've seen creeping juniper grow in landscaping rock. It's a semi-slow grower and the roots are aggressive enough to grab hold in between the rocks.