1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help with large Mall bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by prestigelawn01, Jan 20, 2007.

1. prestigelawn01

prestigelawn01 LawnSite Member

We have gotten the oportunity to bid on the largest mall in our state. 101 acres, with 26 acres in turf. I have a plan put together for servicing the property and the cost. What I need to know is it competitive? With other large mall service plans? We are full service provider meaning we do it all complete turf management, chemical applications, pruning, seasonal color, plus parking lot sweeping, and day porters. The crew for this property will consist of about five men assigned to the property everyday year round. If anyone manages a large mall such as this, what do you charge? and is the plan I have a productive one?
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

How could we know if it's a competitive bid?

A) You didn't tell us what you bid.

B) We have no idea what any of the other companies bid.

C) I personally do not know what the market is like where you're at.

Besides, you shouldn't worry if it's a competive bid or not. You charge what YOU charge, and if you don't get it, then fine. I will not let other companies influence my price. I know what I want/need to make on most things and I price accordingly.
  3. prestigelawn01

Thanks, you're correct about bidding what i need to.. As for the our bid. it is around $330,000 per year.. And as I said it includes Sweeping, Turf management, chemical, pruning, mulching, seasonal color.. And a crew of 5 all year long.. I was just trying to get an idea of what other properties of this type may pay.. I would be willing to give up a little profit just to get the advertisement that we would get out of our name being seen at that location. As I said it is the largest mall in the state.. Alabama.
  4. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Just curious to know why you will have 5 guys there everyday year round. I'm not sure as to why you chose this option vs. 12-18 guys there in one day? Not knocking you at all just curious to why you thought this method was better? Congrats on the invite to bid.
  5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

thats 27,500 a month . If you get that contract for that price your a good sales man!!!
  6. prestigelawn01

To reply to both, the price is for a 101 acre facility, plus the cost of all materials.. And as for five guys.. 2 have to be onsite everyday for the day porter service.. Servicing trash cans and cleanup.. as for the other 3 I thought the turf part would be enough all they could do to stay caught up.. As I said.. they will be performing the Turf Maintenance,Chemical applications, pruning, and mulching, and seasonal color, and Sweeping of the entire parking lot each morning.. If anyone has ideas, please let me know, we will be submitting the proposal Tuesday..
  7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Do you plan on having mowers going every day? They may not like that if that is what your doing. I would put everyone you can there on a mowing day. Get it all done in 1 maybe 2 days. Then focus on the other work like pruning and mulching on the other days
  8. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

are you talking about the galleria?
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

the only thing i can is that big job like that is sure to bring out some big competition, probably from surrounding areas you've never even heard of..
  10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

my guess is it has to be the galleria,biggest thing i have been to.