Need help with Lawn, Please.

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by RoboMike, Jun 23, 2012.

1. I pretty much agree with all of this. I think the OP is in Boca though. Not going to have to worry about the cold as much as guys from central and north Florida. We barely had to worry about low temps this past winter and I am 45 min north of him. I still say go with the common Bermuda too
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

All good here diamond, just been busy. Few months back there wasn't anything going on here besides pissing contests and I've been to busy to care to get involved with that nonsense. Hope your well.

3. I figured you was busy, glad to hear. Yea, there's usually a couple of pissing contests lol...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In my state, st augustine is not used except in shady lawns. Putting it in full sun in a hot climate just begs for problems. Bermuda is more easily managed in full sun.

5. RoboMike

RoboMike LawnSite Member

That's a great confirmation green doctor, I started nuking some areas 1/2 hour ago. ;)

6. greendoctor

I never understood trying to keep st augustine alive in sunny areas where bermuda is naturally encroaching. You are doing the right thing. Just remember that st augustine is not used on baseball, football or soccer fields, low cut bermuda is. I could not imagine banning your own kids from playing on the lawn permanently. No need to do that if the lawn is bermuda. It can take it.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

MJLCARE doesn't have kids, animals or play sports.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greendoctor

It will smoke the bermuda on the first application. It will also destroy any broadleaf weeds otherwise resistant to glyphosate. Turflon Ester is triclopyr, also sold as Garlon 4. Cost is about $100 a gallon. It does not carry the same stigma as 2.4-D, but it is extremely hard on all warm season grasses except for zoysia. Do not try to use this for selective weed control in bermuda, seashore paspalum or st augustine.

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking more for burn out of lawns were Bermuda is present and the new sod will be something other than Bermuda. If it knocks it out in one shot that is great to know. Too many times I have had the lawn sprayed with RU only to have to spray it several more times because the Bermuda pops back up in a week or two and I have to wait at least 2 weeks to ensure that the Bermuda is not coming back to give the client the best chances of the Bermuda will not be back soon. . Which again attest to how strong Bermuda can be.

I often asked why Bermuda was the grass of the south except here in Florida. It did not take long to figure out that Florida is also were the Green Industry is the largest. So we use St. Augustine which requires year round lawn care, keeps the lawn boy employed. It has lots of disease and pest issues which keeps the PCO employed, often these measures can fail which keeps sod layers and sod fields employed.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  10. IMO, its bc it is cheaper to maintain than the hybrid varieties that need reel cutting and tons more work to keep looking good. Common Bermuda maintained at 2-2.5" with a rotary looks like crap IMO. St aug is the middle of the road that you can have look real good without the high costs of hybrid sports turf.
    Posted via Mobile Device