Need help with lawn repair

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chitown King, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Chitown King

Chitown King LawnSite Member

I have a lawn here that has a medium slope in it. There is a bunch of erosion causing about 20% or so of it to develop bare spots. Some areas the erosion is several inches deep. Would like to get this back to normal healthy grass.

What would everyone recommend, and is this something that can be done during the rain?

My initial thought was to fill in the deep bare spots, level it out, and reseed everything. Good idea?

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If the area is larger then can be done with a walk behind tiller or the ground is too hard, rent a Dingo and harley rake, prepare seedbed and use erosion control matting or sod. You may have to stake the sod so that it will stay in place if you get a heavy rain. I would avoid tilling during the rain as you may get clumping and compaction. You can also fill in the rill with soil, but you will still need to use the matting to keep it from washing away.

Check a local landscape supply company and see if they sell jute matting if you are going to seed. They also make a straw impregnated matting and may also have other options that are similar.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

your best bet would probably be some kind of mess for the seed or even hydroseeding. i forgot to look what area your in because for something on a hill you would want a type of grass with really vigerous roots something thats gonna dig in quickly and be come tough fast

4. Chitown King

Chitown King LawnSite Member

Everytime I have seen a hydroseeding demonstration it is always planting a whole new lawn. Can it also be used to just patch areas? Can I assume I should still fill in the more depressed areas before I hydroseed?

5. Big Daddy Choper

Big Daddy Choper LawnSite Member

Aren't there certain types of grass that do better on hill sides? Viney grasses, they also do good in shaded areas

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hydroseeding can be done in small areas, you may pay a bit more per sq ft but they can do it. You will need to ask them if they can apply a tacker to keep it glued to the hillside. Yes you still want to fill in the rills before hydroseeding, the same preparation applies even with hydroseed.

7. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

ya they can spray it anywhere just make sure they get you the same type of seed you have or it might look like a carpet in a hayfield. fill it in smooth it.