Need Help With Lawn

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnboy51, Aug 5, 2006.

1. lawnboy51

lawnboy51 LawnSite Member

Guys, over the last few weeks this light green thick grass as started popping up all over my lawn. Any ideas of how to get rid of it?:confused:

Here is what it looks like.

2. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

sure looks like weeds to me
  3. lawnboy51

So what do u suggest? Weed b gone?
  4. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Its crab grass!!! I freakin hate crab grass!!

Ortho has a crab grass killer, Ive never used it but ortho usually makes good home owner stuff.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

BASF drive75-df is the only thing I know that gets rid of crabgrass, ain't no other weedkillers out there to deal with that.
    90 bucks a pound, mix with water, spray. Don't forget you need a surfactant which is what makes the chem tant to the surface lol.

You could use a spreader but you still need a surfactant which means you need to water the grass down first then you also need some kind of a neutral mixer perhaps lime would work but I can't see how to mix an ounce or three of drive into 40 pounds of lime just right, so use a sprayer and mix:

One gallon of water with 0.12 ounces of drive, technically speaking, 125 gallons or so per pound of drive (one pound=16 ounces so you only need a fraction of an ounce per gallon), then add 1/2 ounce of dishwashing detergent per gallon of h2o to the solution (this is your surfactant unless you feel like spending more of your great fortune lol). Oh yes, add most of the water first, then add the drive then stir slowly or it foams, then add the dishwashing detergent and stir slowly again and fill the rest carefully with water, cap it and stick in truck. Once you get out there, shake it up good because the drive likes to settle pos now it foams but you have a cap on the sprayer so pump and go and hope your sprayer holds enough for what you need.

The only good news about crabgrass is, it stays green LOL
  6. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Topsites, does that look like crab to you? It dosn't look the same as what we have out here on the west coast, though that doen't mean much. The plant on the bottom of the pic, kind of left of midway seems to have some rather large and uneven leaves and seems to be growing up. What we have here tends to grow out and turns redish in the midsection.
    And I agree with you Drive works great! (I got a sample of it a few years back) but I have had great results from the Ortho stuff because I only have to spot spray a little here and there. If I had a bad infestation I would use Drive.
    And just for grins, can you use dishsoap legaly there? My licence rules say I could be fined 7500. for giving that addvice :)
  7. lawnboy51

Heres another pic.

Thanks guys.

8. PTOhioMower

Its still crab grass.

9. lawnboy51

So, I have to spend over $100 to get rid of this crap? I didn't have this last year! Crap! Any other suggestions?
  10. PTOhioMower

Start pulling it by hand. Make sure you get down to the roots.

I really do this in my own yard. I dont get much, just a couple spots here and there. As soon as I spot it, that crap gets pulled.

Did I mention I hate crab grass!!!