Need help with Lazer Z

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dmantia, Sep 4, 2007.

1. dmantia

dmantia LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer Z, 22 Kaw, 60" deck.
    I'm not a commercial lawn service professional but have about 3 acres of grass to mow so I purchased this mower used about 4 years ago. Ran like a champ until this summer and several problems have turned up. My latest issue is the blades will not engage. Was mowing the yard Saturday just fine, broke for lunch, then when I started at it again, the blades wouldn't engage when I pulled the switch. ??????? I just replaced the clutch at the end of last season so i pray its not it.

Any suggestions on where I should start? In the past I have replaced parts that didn't solve the problem so I don't want to make the same mistakes, but that was before I found this site.

On a separate note - is the 22 Kaw undersized for this mower? It bogs down in the thick stuff and just doesn't seem to have enough behind it.

2. dmantia

dmantia LawnSite Member

If its the PTO switch, how should I test it to make sure?

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

remove it and take it to your dealer they will test it for you. most likely for no charge. If you want to do it yourself it would be good to have a meter and a diagram of the switch test procedure. various contacts will show continuity or no continuity when the switch is open and closed you need to know what ones. The test diagram will show you this. This is also where a copy of the service manual comes in handy.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

in my opinion it is a little short on hp. but not everyone will agree with me but you can compensate hear by mowing slower, cutting higher or cutting more often.

5. dmantia

dmantia LawnSite Member

Thanks eshskis. I've check my parts manual and owners manual but only came up with an electrical schematic for the whole mower. It will be quicker for me to take the switch to the local dealer and have them check it than to try myself. I'll keep you posted.

As far as the hp issue, I'm going to start sharpening the blades every week to help reduce the drag. It only takes about 6 hours to mow the whole property, including the additional 2 acres out back that I let grow longer for the neighbor's horse.

Is there an easy way to sharpen the blades without taking them off and using a bench grinder. I saw that Dremel has an attachment for sharpening blades. Has anyone used this? Does it work?

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

no, don't sharpen the blades on any machine. you have to be able to get the right angle when you sharpen and also be able to balance the blades.

are you using a mulch kit or discharging? the 22hp should discharge fine unless you are trying to bush hog a field. deck belt cracked? frayed? glazed? you might have a belt slipping under a heavy load (thick grass).

7. dmantia

dmantia LawnSite Member

Side Discharge - the belt does slip sometimes and even comes off the wheels every now and then but its farely new. It's always done that????

I'm getting the feeling i need to take the machine in for a tune up. I contacted the local dealer and they said they need the whole unit to test the PTO Switch.

Can anyone direct me to a wbsite that would have the switch test procedure?

8. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i sharpen my blades. ive never had any problems when i cut the grass, ive never seen any missed spaots or uneven places. it beats the heck out of having to drive over to the shop and give them like $30 bucks. i use an angle grinder. works fine. costed me $6 dollars. sharpened blades 20+ times since. you can also buy the blade balancers. i dont have them.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i meant don't sharpen them while bolted ON the machine.