Need help with mailing list selects...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Jan 5, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think I worded that correct. For those who have created a mailing list, what selects did you choose and what kind of ranges?

For example, I was considering this.....

My state
    My city
    List of approx 3 zip codes
    Age ......50 years old and up
    Income.....$50,000 and up
    Homeowner (no renters)
    Home value......$125,000 and up

Do you consider martial status?
    Say for example....Women.....single, divorced or widowed?

Am I on the right track?
    What as worked for you as far as best response rate?

I have found a wealth of information as far as whom to go to for the lists itself....just need help filling in the blanks.

Thanks
    MATT

2. walker-talker

from Midwest

All the talk of direct mailing list and nobody can comment on the selects/criterias?

3. walker-talker

from Midwest

^

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I use carrier rt. # for the areas I want to mail to. You can buy all the above or you can find a developent right down a name of a few rds. and post office will give you the #. Plus if you target the developemnts that you want to do by carrier rt # you will have awsenerd most of your above ?

Mac

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Walker-talker,

If you think of the customers you service now, do they have certain common characteristics? If so, you could look for the same ones in other customers.

6. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

In my previous career I was a computer programmer for 20 years and data mining was a big part of my life.

I built my mailing list using the on-line Property Tax Appraisal Roll for my county. Do a search and or call your county tax appraiser and see if your county is on line. I target my customers by subdivision for route density.

On the image below (a screen shot of my county tax roll) for only one street in the same subdivision there are four columns:

1. Hyperlink to property detail
    2. Owner name
    3. Property Address
    4. Property Value
      [/list=1]

[​IMG]

There is a wealth of information on the property tax rolls including:
      • Owner name & address (might be different than property address)
      • Subdivision Name
      • property square feet
      • buildings square feet
      • Appraised Value (for taxing purposes)

Best of all this is public information and probably free or at least very reasonable. After compiling a list using a spreadsheet, I can eliminate addresses that have no homes, narrow backyard gates (after riding past address), renters (owner address not same as property address), homes in foreclosure (see 4th row on image) or any other criteria I want to exclude.

7. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

WT-

I mail out post cards and have one company take care of everything. I buy the list which is the least expensive part. The last ones we sent we targeted: (1) Woman (2) 50+ years (2) ZIP codes (3) Property Value (which is how they are basing income). They e-mail the list to me as a spreadsheet and I can keep it if I would like to use it later. There are ways of purchasing your targets, printig the list and going to Kinkos and having labels made and buying a bulk mail out. Quite frankly, I will pay an extra $100-150 to have it all done for me. I call and give them a credit card number and wait for the phone to ring about 5 days later.

The company prints the cards. The cards are laminated and in color. They are not like a bulk mail card, they are heavier with better paper. Then they mail them out. 96% hit the target and about 4% return to you as undeliverable.

I have gotten good responses and plenty of compliments. Late December we sent 1001. It cost us $550. I have landed 4 new regular accounts and a $500 cleanup and I quote a retaining wall Saturday.

The previous set of 1001, I landed 3-4 regular accounts and about $6000 in various work.

8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

We use the assessment sites as well...
    We are familiar with the streets and neighborhoods...

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

Thanks tx_angler...that looks very interesting....I will have to check into that.

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

my friend usses teh assesment and sorts by imcome and age when he decides for mail orders.

i would not think that the marital status would matter though.