need help with mower purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaybe_2, Aug 12, 2006.

1. jaybe_2

jaybe_2 LawnSite Member

I have it down to 2 mowers
    kubota zd28 with 72" deck or a ferris 5000 with a 72" deck. kubota is a 28hp 3 cyl. diesel. ferris is a cat 31hp 3 cyl. diesel. Any one no of problems with the suspension on the ferris? Or any problems in general with the kubota or the ferris? This is to cut my personal lawn about 7 acres. thanks for any help.

2. jaybe_2

jaybe_2 LawnSite Member

Sorry,I should have done a search before I posted,seems this has been asked before. I have been reading almost none stop since I made that post and what I am finding is not good for kubota. I do not want to have drive problems with a mower, this is the reason I am getting rid of my toro! The local ferris dealer offed me a new IS5000 for 12,000.oo ( i think it is a left over 05) this seems to be a pretty good deal. My only concern is that the 06 has a new rear shock system! does any one know if they are having problems with the 05 rear suspension?

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard of very few problems with the ferris suspension system and I read alot. Heard of one that went out with several hundred hours but it would be an easy fix if it did go out. Something you could do yourself (shock, springs). They must be really heavy made to use on a diesel. This is all just hear say, never been on one myself. Anyone else heard of alot of problems with Toro drives. I thought they all used basically the same pumps and motors. I would get advice from someone with some seat time behind one of these machines instead of my second hand avice. Sounds like alot of mower for 7 acres. Lots of other brands out there. The diesel engine should outlast the mower.

4. jaybe_2

jaybe_2 LawnSite Member

I know it is a lot of mower for that much lawn but I would like this to be the last mower I have to buy. My lawn is for the most part flat and open with acouple of small hills. [​IMG]] Plus more lawn to come.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. tacoma200

Like I said I'm a little out of my legue when it comes to those brands and the diesel engine. I know the guys that run diesels here run Grasshopper and I've seen some with over 5000 hrs. They are a proven durable machine. A big Scag would knock that off easy also. I'm just not familiar with Ferris and Kuboto. I'm surprised your not getting more responses but I would say there are not that many on this site that run those two brands. I have heard of drive problems on the Kuboto's but its been awhile and I can't remeber what the issue was. Any other brands of dealers in your area. If it's going to be the last one you buy you owe it to yourself to test drive several models. You may be surprised at which ones you end up likeing the best. Good luck

6. jaybe_2

jaybe_2 LawnSite Member

I think I will go look at a grasshopper tomorrow. They look like a nice rig.:dizzy: Too many choices

7. tacoma200

I think they build one of the best diesel mowers. They are #1 around here with LCO's needing diesel power. Nobody runs Kubota or Ferris around here but I understand that in certain regions one brand may be more popular.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've run Ferris exclusively for 13 straight years now with around 20 machines or so.

If you can buy that 5000 for 12 grand, run to the dealer IMO (hell, I might even come up and take it off their hands). The 5000 changed the rear shock system not because of problems...and btw, they did it with other Ferris Z's as well. Currently, we own a couple of 3000's, a 4000, and field tested a 2000 for Turf Magazine for the months of May and June. The ride is unmatchable as far as I am concerned.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Grasshopper is the most popular here across the board, and make up almost ALL of the diesel units being ran around here. But I do see some Toro diesels, a few Kubota's, and one Ferris with the yellow CAT engine.

I think at that price you should without question go with the Ferris over the Kubota. I've always liked the Ferris machines and I have a good dealer in another town.... but I always pass them up because they are so d@mn overpriced here. The 33hp Cat 72" is $15,500 plus tax here.

Rodfather...

I don't get Turf anymore... is there somewhere online to read your review?
    The IS2000 looks like a pretty nice machine.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Still waiting to get my copy Envy...