Need help with mowing bid for roadside

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Q-Team Inc, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

I need help with a bid for mowing about 3.5 miles of roadside in a nice development. There are a few common areas of about 20k as well. Road sides need to be cut about 8-10' back from road. There should be a minimal amount of trash to pick up because its a nice area. Any help you could give is much appreciated.

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

If you know for sure how long it is and how wide it is then figure out how many acres it is. Then charge your regular per acre rate, or hourly rate, if you know how long it takes you to cut an acre. Just remember, some of these places have a lot of fence along the roads and that will take some trim time and 3.5 miles. is a long walk. If you do a search here you will see HOA's have a high pita factor, so charge accordingly.

3. Littleriver1

Q, How did you pick your co. name ?

4. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

Littleriver1
    "Q, How did you pick your co. name ?"

The name actually started with our Tree Service and Logging operations about 25 years ago. Q-Team (Quality Team) and Quality logging was the original company & sub company.

I thought about putting on the side of our trucks "We put the Q in quality" but it sounds so corny!!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good points. One thing to keep in mind (even though I'm not fortunate enough to know this prop), roadways many time take less time since you have less obstacles and turns to make. One job we have is about 1/2 mile of roadway that is 11 or 12 passes to make. Gets kind of boring going that far one swipe at a time.

Good Luck with it...

pjslawncare/landscap likes this.
  6. Littleriver1

Also some times home owners will cut their part at their yard and it will not take you as long as you estimate. But when you bid, bid like you'll be cutting everything.

7. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

for the road side i would charge $120 b.c with a 48" z cutting at about 7mph if you can do it that fast it will take about 1.5 hours. that is counting 4 passes. three passes of cutting and one pass to get back to the truck.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

$120 is crazy low IMO and if you were going to do it that way, have someone move the truck to the other end. It goes a lot faster than 7 mph. Just an opinion. I seriously doubt you could mow that in 1.5 hours especially including drive and unload time.

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

$120 is too cheap for 3.5 miles of roadside. We do several jobs of this type only not as long but a bit deeper (about50 to 60 foot off the road including ditches). The biggest is about 3/4 mile and to give u an idea we charge $255