Need help with my 21" Proline!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie13, Jun 8, 2003.

1. lonnie13

lonnie13 LawnSite Member

I was mowing today on some hills. It was mowing just fine then all of a sudden it just stopped. When I tried to start it again on choke, it will start for a second then quit like it's not getting any gas. I have tried pulling the spark plug and changed air filter but it still does the same thing. It is a 5.5 suzuki. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Check & clean ( or replace)the fuel filter.
  3. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

check the exhault ports sometimes they plug up in the two cycle suzukis.and clean and check the carb.

Soak the carb in a little sea foam.
  4. lonnie13

lonnie13 LawnSite Member

I am new to the suzuki. I think I know what you mean about the exhaust ports. Is it behind the muffler/exhaust? I know its a stupid question. I also changed the fuel filter, same problem. It starts for a second then just dies.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

check the carb for any clogs, it sounds like a delivery problem
  6. lonnie13

lonnie13 LawnSite Member

sorry, but what is sea foam?
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You can read about sea foam here.
  8. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

I am no great mechanic but had one explain this to me. Under your carb. there is a bowl. Uncsrew the cover and there is a very small hole inside the bowl you will see that gets clogged. Take a small piece of wire to unclog it. Same thing happened to me and this fixed it. I too first replaced the fuel filter with no luck.

If someone else can explian this in mechanics lingo feel free as I don't claim to be a mechanic.

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Sam is right. Clean the main jet inside the carb fuel bowl, it probably has some dirt or debris stuck in it. The jet is very small and it doesn't take much to clog it. Check your gas for water too. My friends mower quit on him and it turned out to be water in the fuel. He leaves his fuel cans out on his trailer and with all the rain we have had lately some got in his gas can.