Need help with my grasshopper mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.E., May 10, 2009.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

The battery keeps going down....I have a lawn business so it is getting plenty of use. What charges the batt? The owners manual says the charging system is 12VDC 15amp. Negative ground...huhhh

Can somebody give me some help?

Thanks, Tony
  2. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

How many hrs is on it... is it out of warranty im guessing???? I think it basically works like a alternator on a car in a sense... I had to replace that part on my toro z once. I would assume that it is that part( alternator) ..... but if the battery is old it may not hold a charge and you may just need to replace it. Usually the batterys on my mowers last 3-5yrs
  3. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

from what i understand mowers don't have alternators but they do have something very similar, i cant think of the name at the moment...i had a grasshopper as well and the battery was always a problem then i later found out that many grasshoppers have that problem...i guess we never really figured it out, just charged it a few times and bought a few new batteries, seemed to be an annual thing...
  4. semomotorsports

semomotorsports LawnSite Member

it could be a a fuse, your system has what is called a stator which goes under the flywheel and it makes unregulated current or AC current it then sends it to a voltage regulator and then to the battery. The electric clutch is what runs your battery down because it requires power to operate it. Most of the time kohler engines only need a regulator. I have replaced very few stators in kohler engines. If you have the kubota engine it has its on altenator just like a car. I hope this helps.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it is a Kohler engine, then your problem could be a fuse, the alternator, or that stator. The stator on some models of Kohler engines can go bad due to a buildup of dirt and debris in them. They are a real pain to change on Grasshopper midmounts, as you have to pull out the engine to get to the stator. Hopefully yours just need a fuse or an alternator.
  6. T.E.

Thanks for the help. It is a Kohler and it has a new battery, and I have checked all of the fuses, and they are fine. My first batt. last for almost 1500 hrs. Another thing that I know needs to be changed is the electric clutch it is weak....sometimes it won't engage as it should. Could this add to the problem?

Thanks again, Tony
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Your clutch is most likely not the problem. The clutch will act weak if the machine is not charging properly, or if the battery gets low, or both.
  8. T.E.

Thanks Man.
  9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Mowingman had to replace the stator on my 223 mid. It was packed with debris either from me running it when drizzeling rain or me washing it too much. I had the same problem you are describing, it would run down a new battery in about two hours and the cluctch would not engage right before it ran out of juice.