1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help With New Fresh Web Site(key Points For Having A Successful Web Site)

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Fmenvironmental, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Fmenvironmental

Fmenvironmental LawnSite Member

I Live In Upstate Ny. I Am Starting A Website For My Lawnmowing/ Landscaping Business. I Currently Have A Dozen Resisential Customers And 3 Commercials. I Have Done Retaining Walls And Paver Patios. I Have Also Installed New Landscapes, Mulch Work, Etc. I Am Looking For Some Help On My Website Design. I Am Currently Doing This Part Time, But I Would Like To Do This Full Time Next Year. If Anyone Has Any Ideas I Would Very Much Appreciate It..

2. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Specifically what ideas do you need - where are you in the process, do you have a host do you have a editor of some type?
  3. Fmenvironmental

Fmenvironmental LawnSite Member

i have a host. i am having a friend build site for me... need some tips that helpful in getting some good response from site

4. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

make your site clean, easy to navigate, easy to understand. Have your friends look at it and tell you what they think. Post a rough draft, we will give you are opinions.

Once that is done you will need to optimize it and you will be good to go.
  5. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

Agreed, post a link so we can see what you have.

One thing I disagree with above: "Have your friends look at it and tell you what they think."
    Only if they are knowledgeable about web sites and will be brutally honest. Friends or relatives tend to tell you what makes you few good. It's normal, they are being polite.

When looking at a web site you want total honesty, not "polite". Also when you post that link let us know what your idea is of the web site "working" for you. What somebody expects from a web site can be a lot different from someone else.

Remember when building a web site (time yourself or get somebody that doesn't know what you are doing and click away with a stopwatch)
    In 8 seconds you must let the visitor know that you do what they are looking for, i.e. they have found a relevant site. AND intrigue them enough to get them to keep reading.
    So click on the site and start timing... click off after 8 seconds and ask "what does this company do and where are they?" If someone can't answer that after 8 seconds that's the first thing you must fix or the rest will make little difference.
    People on the web demand fast today. That number was 12 seconds only 3 or 4 years ago, but high-speed has made people much more impatient much like a baked potato seems to take forever at 6 minutes in the microwave if you don't remember when it took almost an hour in an oven. :rolleyes:
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd add to skip before and after photos if your work looks good. I used to use before and after photos, but decided that pages look better with 4 nice looking after photos than 2 pieces of junk and 2 nice photos.

At most, I'd say limit before and after to "one" example of the most striking change of all. If one example doesn't make the point, then what good was it to display the example in the first place.

As far as "optimizing" - the most important part is proper grammar.

You need to determine what the market is like in your area on the internet. If there are 50 to 80 companies with websites, its virtually insane to "opitimize" by trying to gain a lot of new customers via search engine searches.

Here's the common sense behind that...

...If 70 landscapers all hire the best web designer, who perfectly "optimizes" all 70 websites, can they all be in the top 3 results or on the first page?...

Of course not, and only an idiot would promote otherwise. It would be like how a bunch of dreamers in the 1800s expected that the gold resources of California would make everybody rich, like it would never run out. Only a limited number of the first people who got to the gold first, extracted the resources.

Same thing with top web presence. If you can get there first, its easier to hold the top spots. One reason is the older websites do have an advantage. So even if a newer one is optimized as well as a good old site, the old site probably had more links going to it, and there is nothing that the new site can do to overcome the search engine's logs about the ESTABLISHED site's age.

If there are only a handful of companies with websites for landscape on the internet - TOTALLY different. Then its very worthwhile competing for the top slots on the search page.

The important part - either way - is to make sure that when someone enters your own name and the words for what you do, that your site displays.
  7. HostPenguin

HostPenguin LawnSite Member

The most important thing is to give it a professional look and keep it clean/easy to navigate.