Need help with NEW sodded lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by creolejazz, Aug 18, 2005.

1. creolejazz

creolejazz LawnSite Member

Greetings,

I just bought a brand new house (in southern Missouri) with a brand new sodded lawn. Turns out the yard (dirt) was not properly conditioned before the sod was put down (March, '05) AND the yard was overwatered for a good six weeks after it was put down. By the time I moved in (May, '05), the yard had large spots of dead grass (from overwatering) and lots of weeds (from poor conditioning).

Over the last couple of months, the dead spots have been replaced by a light green, grass-like weed that grows about four times faster than my grass. It comes up mostly between the sod strips but also comes up through the sod. Basically, what I have now is a yard that is about 60% light green, tall, grass-like weed, and 40% unhealthy looking sod that is a darker green color. It seems to me the light green weed will soon choke out the dark green sod if something isn't done.

Question: What can I do to save this yard? How do I strengthen the original grass so that it will choke out the weeds? I applied Weed & Feed in Mid-June and again in Mid-July but, at this point, I think that may have been what was responsible for the frantic weed growth. Ideas/suggestions? Do I need to reseed? If so, when? Any help appreciated.

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sounds like crabgrass.It's easy to kill.What type of sod was installed,fescue?

3. creolejazz

I believe so. When I asked, I was told "a general blend" or something to that affect. The "weeds" are a lighter green, tall, and some have a wheat-like fuzzy thingee on them.

4. NickN

from Alabama

hmmm.That actually could be Kentucky 31 fescue then.Crabgrass has seedheads that look alot like bermuda seedheads,only larger.Can you post some photos?

5. creolejazz

Good idea. Give me an hour or so and then take another look. I appreciate your help.

6. NickN

from Alabama

7. creolejazz

OK, here are a few shots. A couple of closeups of the grass (the way it should look), a couple of two different types of weeds, a couple of yard shots showing grass/weeds, and a couple of yard shots showing mine AND the new yard next door that still looks good. Any feedback appreciated. Sorry about the photo size (around 80K) but I wanted you to see detail. Thanks.

grass1web.jpg

grass2web.jpg

grassandweedsweb.jpg

weedtype1aweb.jpg

weedtype1web.jpg

8. creolejazz

Here are the rest of the photos.

weedtype2web.jpg

yard1web.jpg

yard2web.jpg

yardweb.jpg

9. NickN

from Alabama

The first weed looks like Foxtail and the second looks like Carolina Geranium.Neither are common in Alabama,at least from what I see.It's NOT crabgrass,K31,or rye.

10. NickN

from Alabama