Need help with OCDC build

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have been wanting to build an OCDC for my Lesco for a long time now.

I already have most of the materials on hand and I have a couple of loose ideas on how I want do build it... but I have just never gotten around to it.

For me, the first complication I see is that the discharge mouth is tapered like this / at the rear of the discharge mouth and the cutout goes back into the curve of the deck skirt. So it does not have a flat mounting face on it like the eXmark does. So either that side of the OCDC blocker will have to be curved to cover and still somehow open/close smoothly, or I will have to fabricate an insert to create a regular flat discharge face for it to close against.

Any ideas or help there?

The second is figuring out the open/close linkages. I want it simple and durable... and I don't want it to blow open.

Any ideas or help there?
  2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have the director. It is simple and durable. Looks like you could make one similar if you have access to metal working tools.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

There are so many I loose track of what is what...

I remember the eZchute... MasterChute

The director... don't remember what that one is like.
    Do you have any pics by chance?
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Envy, search under Director and my name. I have tons somewhere.
  5. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The director plate folds up and over center.

Out of the way.

No big handle arm.

Two completely different products if you ask me.
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

it says they only fit exmark mowers, wander why they don't make one for all major brands and models?

nice looking product though!
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

check out the ACS at Badboy Mowers.....I have that on my Stander and I really like
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I had already checked out all the makers except the ACS.

All of them are designed for a flat discharge face that a flat piece of steel can seal off.... like eXmark, Toro, ect, which have a walkbehind style discharge with square flat surfaces to hang a side catcher on. But my discharge is not like that. It's more like the newer Scag ZTR's. So nobody makes one for it... except ACS, but they just added a curved shield on the inside of their regular design. Anyways, with all the stuff I have ready to build, I would feel sorta stupid about giving ACS $200+ for that.

What I am trying to decide is rather I want to try to make an OCDC with a curved blocker, and if I do, how will I get it to open and close properly with the curve in the sheetmetal.... Or do I fab something up to make convert the discharge opening to a flat mounting surface?

10. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

The "Director" will soon have a model to fit the Scag mowers also. More may be in the works in the future.

There is an interesting story behind the company that makes the Director OCDC. York Metal Products use to make the striper kit for Exmark. Exmark was very loyal to them until Toro bought Exmark. Toro decided that since the striper kit was not patentable, that they would manufacture the same kit and cut off York Metal Products. Some companies are real dicks when they get too big.

My advice to anyone who needs a striper kit or OCDC for their Exmark, call these guys. They deserve better than what Toro did to them.