need help with paver/wall prices & ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Smitty58, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I researched a ton of past posts on installing pavers and retaining walls. I'm preparing a bid and could use a few pointers. The customer said on the phone (haven't met them in person yet) that they wanted a paver patio with a small wall that could be used as a bench. I'm kicking around some design ideas so I can have something to show them when I go out for the initial meeting. Has anyone done something similar that you could share prices and pictures? How tough is it to do a wall with columns on either side ,and the wall be right at the outside edge of the paver patio?

2. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

that shouldn't be to hard i might kick around the idea of the sims stone block that i have started using they are a retaing wall block that is textured on both sides so the wall looks the same on both sides and as for the columns you can use the same block i have a drawing that shows you how and they come in a variety of colors. i wil look and see but i think they cost around $4.28 sq ft that my be high i dont know what everybody else is paying

3. Smitty58

Thanks, that's a good idea about the wall being the same look on both sides. I assume then that they just lay staight up. They don't have locking lip on back? Do you use a cap block for those to achieve a wider "bench"?

4. midtnstone

from mid tn

they do not have a locking lip they are neat you sit one facing one way and the other faces the other way and so on. so you have a nice look on both sides. yes you can get a cap for the top, i have not used it but they have it. i am working on a wall now using this stuff in a brickbled color that looks real good with a dark red brick house i will try to get some pictures

5. Smitty58

midtn - got another question for you. I like the idea of the wall with both sides being the same, but then how do you price that. If $15 per face sq ft is my normal price than would it be $30 per sq ft since you are essentially doing 2 walls back to back? Also what is the going rate for pavers? I've seen many people say it is $10 per sq ft ,is that labor only?

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of what I've seen for pavers is $10/sf for labor only. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) on that one though.

Check into Versa-loks if you want a wall textured on both sides. It requires an extra step, but it's possible. The extra step is that you have to split about 3/4" off of the back with a splitter. From what I understand (haven't done it yet, but soon will), there's already a score line where you split it. From there it's a simple matter of gluing the block to the next course.

Dan

7. midtnstone

from mid tn

i dont charge extra for the wall being textured on both sides imo why would you the block comes that way there is no splitting of the block that is one reason i like this block so much also the company is about 20-30 minutes from my house so getting them is no problem, but they have shipping i just never use it. what i am trying to say is that if you use this block no matter what even if you fill one side with topsoil it is still textured you are not doing any more work to get that way. they also make block that is only textured on one side.
    for the pavers around $10.00 sounds pretty good i buy most of my paver from the same company they pavers cost me around $1.50 to $3.50 per sq ft just depends on how much prep work is required.
    this price i have gave refelects the price i pay but i buy by the pallet with the block and pavers. like the job i am doing now needed 1 1/2 pallet but in my bid i price 2 pallets the other 1/2 i keep for later use or sell. also on small jobs i try to buy broken pallets so you get one hell of a discount like maybe 1/3 of normal price you may have to sort some and throw some away but is you price it at normal price then buy it at 1/3 of normal cost you cand make pretty good money on just the material just they way i like it.

sorry for such a long post and i will try to get some pictures on my website and on here of these items

8. Smitty58

Thanks for the long thread, I'll take all the info I can get. I'm going tomorrow to the supplier to check out some product so I have some ammo for my appt with a potential customer. I didn't know they made block with both sides good so thats why I asked about the double price. Thats another good idea about the broken pallets. Whenever you can get some pics I would love to see them.

Thanks,
    Steve

9. nac

nac LawnSite Member

You can use Keystone Country Manor 6" retaining wall block they are finished on both sides. Usually the going rate in my area is 25.00 - 30.00 a SF.

10. Smitty58

thanks nac - is that per face foot? The other thing I'm a little puzzled on is, if you are using a double sided block and thay set back a little each course wouldn't that make the one side opposite of what you want?