Need help with picking a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, May 2, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I was told at a local toro dealer that toro owns exmark, is this true?

I had a deal lined up for a used 48" exmark metro but it fell threw, so I'm going to just buy new. I'm looking for a 36-48" walk behind and right now i'm looking at toro, exmark, and Bradley. Now bradley is way cheaper (1500 for 36" 1999 for 48") where as the toro/exmark is more (haven't looked yet but i know they're more). Does anyone use bradley? If so what are your thoughts on it? All three of the mowers have good dealers in very close, and both dealers (one carries toro/bradley other carries exmark) are very good with commercial customers, putting them first for repairs and even lending demo mowers when yours is being repaired. Also I've always used hydro drive mowers when i worked for other companies and have never even touched a gear driven mower, but i think i'll have to get a gear driven mower due to budget. How much harder are gear driven mowers compaired to hydros (useability, speed, stuff like that)? For the money the bradley isnt bad, has 15hp kohler engine, 5 speed peerless tranny comes with mulch kit and a grass catcher thats all the 48". Thanks for the help, just looking for suggestions before i buy :)

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

YES, TORO bought ExMark about 5 years ago. Typical for America, IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM, BUY THEM OUT! They supposedly had an agreement not to do anything to ExMark for 3 years. I don't know WHY you would do anything to a company that is KICKING @SS in the market like Exmark!

Anyway, I have several different makes of mower (Exmark, Toro, Great Dane & Encore) and side by side NONE COMPARE to Exmark on discharging clippings. I'd suggest an Exmark.

Mike

3. kc2006

Thank you sir, any one else? I'v always used exmarks and I love them so right now exmark is stepping ahead but bradley is still in my mind for price wise, i know you get what you pay for but when your just starting out you need something cheap and its cheap.

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

toro bought exmark for the paint shop and it cost them big time
    do not get a bradley go for a exmark/toro and you wont be dissapointed

5. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Nobody regrets buying eXmark!

6. kc2006

Well I'm going to look at toro's and exmarks in a few mins and get prices. I'm going to also buy a pro slide, but i noticed in the video on proslides website that you have to step off if you back up. Do you always have to step off when backing up? Also i've heard that belt driven mowers don't turn as well as hydro mowers do is this true? Because if i buy a belt driven and i have to make my turn and back up then go forward again so i don't miss anything that would mean i'd have to be getting on and off the proslide every time i turn. Whats the deal here, is it true what i'm thinking or no?

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Just got into the biz last year and bought a new Exmark laz HP. LOVE IT!!

8. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

KC...

picked up a new Bradley 48" 15 HP Kohler about a month ago and it is doing great...

awesome cut and it pulls around a 2 wheel sulky no problem!!!

Save yourself some money and try the Bradley....one year commercial warranty as well...

Good luck!!

Where in Ohio are you located??

I lived in the Youngstown area years ago...

9. kc2006

i live in the youngstown area too.

I went to a bunch of dealers today, again the bradley mower has teh same engine/trans as the toro or even the exmark does, only difference is the bradley looks like its more of a simpler design and it only has 1 year warrenty compaired to the 3 year of the toro. Anyone else have experience with bradleys?

I looked at the 36" metro and 36" toro wb they are both same price and both dealers are very good with their professional customers (lends mowers out if needed and puts them first) the toro/exmarks are 2500 so I'd save 500 if i go with the bradley and I'll get a 48" instead of the 36". I'm still torn alittle, saving the money now when i need to and then just buying a z rider in a couple years looks like the way to go but i dont want to cheap out. any other advice? :confused:

10. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

KC....

If the price difference is only $500 or so, go with the ExMark!!

The Bradley is great but it sounds like you are getting a super deal on the ExMark....

BTW...the ExMark is over $1000 more in my area!!

Good luck to you!!