need help with pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mmtwin, Feb 14, 2006.

1. mmtwin

mmtwin LawnSite Member
    from Pa

just starting in the bus this year. Sold resteraunt. I was wondering how you guys charge a price of a lawn? Is it squre feet or time to do? Also is seasonal the way to go as well? any info would be greatly welcome.:confused:
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you need to look at sq ft and time plus the cost of equiptment and material. I like to clear $100 per hr.
  3. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

take the price of fettechini alfredo and x's it by 2...thats the meathod I use...J/K...I've never measured out square footage or cut before I gave a price. Most people want a price before you do the work anyhow...for quick 5-10 minute jobs which is like a small subdivision lot I charge a min. of $25...I kinda go from there. As they get bigger I think of that $25 lot and charge according to that. My 2 cents...last time I gave advice about prices I got my ass handed to there are going to be about as many different pricing meathods as there are lawn companys...Is seasonal the way to go??? I let my customers know before hand that its very hard to cut snow but I'll plow it.
  4. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I am still new to this, but I charge 35 an hour. I don't diclose that to customers. My minumun is 35 even if it takes 30 min. Remember you may only cut and trim for 30 min, but you have to load up, drive there, drive away, and unload. Make sure you figure in your travel time. You can charge any $$$ amount per hour. You have to decide how much you needand want in you pockets.
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

the first thing you need to figure out is your overhead .
    insurance $790.00 year ,65.83 month ,15.20 week
    w/c $5000.00 year , 416.66 month , 96.22 week
    fuel 2.35 per gallon @ x gal. per lawn = ?.00
    truck fuel 2.35 per gallon @ x gal. to get there and back = ?.00
    labor rate x per person per hour
    materials , trimmer line ,blades ,oil.

the list is very comprehensive but you have to do it to make sure you are making a profit per lawn or job whatever it is . some one about a month or so ago on here said it right : some people really run a business and some people play business .in my book if you dont know what everything costs the you are playing business .i know what everything costs no matter what job i do .you should know what i mean if you ran a restaurant .if you buy one box of fish for 15.00 you hve to break it down to how much is each peice of fish and how many peices do you put on a plate to make it look good and still make a profit........just my .02
  6. RedMaxrules

RedMaxrules LawnSite Member

befnme is right. You need to breakdown expenses and figure out how much it's going to cost you just to run your business. Don't forget to take into consideration everything that it's going to cost you to run your business, everything. To answer your question most landscapers that I have come in contact with charge a min. for one size lawn based on the time it will take and then increase their price from there.