1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help With Quote

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Superiorlandscaping, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Superiorlandscaping

Superiorlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Ma

Alright here, Please any help you can give me will be great. This company is looking for a quote on an entire year. They expect me to mow the lawn, turn over mulch beds on a reg basis, blow down parking lots, pick up cigarette butts around entrances, and the trimming of bushes when ever they need it. I am not sure if he wants me to figure everything such as mulch and materials. There is about 16 man hours of trimming there.

Here is what I expect to charge this customer. $30/hour foreman; $25/hour employee; $50/5gallons of roundup (100 yard rockbed); $50 to dump one truckload. I spend approximately 8-10 man hours there. I really want this job but I dont want to bid below my profitpoint. This quote should still include spring and fall clean-up. I am positive that this customer is a great client. There bills are always paid on time. I live in central mass and I am unsure of the growing season. If you could give me what you would bid this job that would be awesome. If you would like i will go take some pictures of this property this weekend. But lets see what you can do with out it. Thank you so much.
  2. There is an old saying, and I do not know who said it. but it goes like this, when a man with experience meets a man with money the man with the experience will have the money and the man with the money will now be expereienced. Sounds like you are fixing to get some experience.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have to say, that is an awesome quote, and I must say, it sounds as though he is right. You better do some reeeaaal figuring when you work on this one. There are certain things that just sound strangely peculiar about this. Let me get this straight; you are going use Roundup in the beds to control the weeds, but you don't the growing season of your home state?:confused: First of all, there are better ways to manage the beds rather than the constant reactive Roundup thing. Oh, Roundup works, and it works well if used all the time where required, but there are better ways.
  4. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

What are the other ways? I'd like to know as well. I'm sure a lot of us would. Might help in the bid also. Duke
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Other ways? Keep a deep,clean edge around all beds at all times to keep weeds and grasses from jumping over (or even under). Reapply mulch at least 2 to 3 inches deep every year or even better twice a year, and apply a pre-m to the beds when its applied to the turf. This will keep weeds and grasses down to a very minimum. If all this is kept up, the only weeds will probably only be nutsedge and a little crabgrass.
  6. Superiorlandscaping

from Ma

Alright, it is a stone bed, not a mulch bed, i thought i wrote that. my fault. I dont spray round up on mulch beds
  7. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Use Snapshot for pre-emergent weed control in beds. Roundup for post-emergent. Takes a couple applications each year. Keep up on the roundup and the beds will look good. Don't bother pullin' weeds that just encourges more to grow.
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

If its a stone or rock bed, the landscape fabric does an excellent job for weed barrier.
  9. Superiorlandscaping

from Ma

yeah i know that landscape fabric does the job, but since it is not my job yet, i dont want to say anything. Especially since the former company(me) kept it up nicely by pulling weeds and spraying about once a month. It kept the bed in immaculate shape. Also are my rates to low at 25/manhour and 30/manhour. Does anyone else charge more for a foreman. I also have never heard or used snapshot. What is it exactly and how does it compare to roundup.

Here is another random question, i have found two types of lawn striping equipment. One involves dragging chaines and one involves a row of tiny wheels. Does anyone have any experience with these and which do they prefer?
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Because the question you asked is so vague this is what I can offer:

*You will probably be in the neighborhood of 26-28 cuts for the mowing season from April thru mid-November.

*If they are looking to have the ornamental beds maintained and meticulously manicured you will have to plan for shearing the necessary specimens approximately 4 times throughout the prime growing season (every 6 weeks).

*Once you have the yards needed calculated for the mulch, I double my cost and then add an hourly labor rate per yard applied to give them a figure for mulching.

Since you maintained some of the property before, you should have a rough idea of how long it should take to blow off the lts and keep up with the butts??? For these I would simply apply your hourly labor rate accordingly.