Need help with rear door for leaf box...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Oct 13, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Last year I built two barn style doors for leaf box out of angle iron and plywood. The grass and leaves would get to packed that it would bow the top of doors outward. It was only latched down at the bottom. Over summer, the doors were not latched down and strong wind broke one. No big deal, needed to rebuild anyway. I already decided to make new door(s) out of 2" square tubing. I have a choice here...either to make 2 barn style doors again or one door that hinges from the top...like a dump truck. The area for door measures approx. 6' high and 8.5' across.

1) Barn style doors
    pros- would be able to load other debris by hand easily.
    doors would open all the way for easy dumping
    cons- more steel and more wieght
    more time to build
    not sure if hinges would be able to withstand all that weight
    would have to be able to latch at the top as well at bottom to keep
    top from bowing.

2) One door hinged at top
    pros- easier to build
    would not have to design latch at top
    less steel and less weight
    less chance of any bowing and would be overall stronger
    cons- might have problems unloading grass and leaves (by this I mean when I
    go to dump, the door might not swing out far enough for the debris to
    unload easily with it's own weight)
    would have to fabricate something to hold door up wo be able to load
    debris (branches and such) by hand and possibly for unloading

I am leaning towards the one door design, but just concerned about the door swinging out of the way for dumping.

Any ideas and input is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Matt

Need door0001.JPG

2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I think you answered your own question. I'll take door #2. Before I finished your thread I was thinking a full door hinged at the top. I have never built one but if I did... Good luck, LCME

3. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

why not put a garage style door on that thing?

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

heres the box on our truck at work. its totally galvanized, but this door is hinged a little different. as you dump the door comes up a little so it doesnt hit the ground.

6. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

what if u had a it hing on the side and have it swing open?

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is like mdb's except that I used the a draw pin and hooks for hinges so that I could take off the door easily. It works good and dumping is not a problem the door just opens as I lift the hoist. It doesn't have to open all the way to dump. I have a small door on the side that I can load small branches in and any loose leaves after cleaning up from the blower.

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

One door hinged at the top should be fine. Mine opens with no problem at all. How much clearance do you have when the bed is in the up position though??? As far as loading I just leave a 2X4 strapped to the side so I can prop it up if needed.

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

I had planned on measuring that before I started construction.

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Thought I post a little update to this. I have the frame mounted, but need to take it off to do some more welding on the backside of the hinges. I have the sheet metal ordered and should be here sometime in the next couple days. As you can see, there is not much clearance when the bed is in the up position. I will have to see how well the debris comes out under it's own weight before I make any other modifications. I built the frame out of 2" square tubing...18 guage I believe. It's a stout door and don't think I should have to worry about it bowing like I did with the angle iron door I had used before. I will get one more pic here in the next couple weeks when it's completed.

Grain Truck Door Frame0001.JPG