need help with retaining wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nitrotim, Jan 12, 2005.

1. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Hi first off let say this help is for me. I don't do landscape. I am putting up a pole barn and I had to bring an escavator in to level the ground because it droppded about 35" from front to back. The building is going to be 24X32X10. The escavator mentioned that i might need a retaining wall on one side and around the back. What is the best and most cost effetive way to do this. Any help would be appreciated I am posting some pics of the area. also he said I should wait till after the building is up and concrete poured. Any input on that would help also.

MVC-022F.JPG

MVC-023F.JPG

MVC-024F.JPG

2. nitrotim

from nj

bump anybody ?

3. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

you could hire me to do the wall. if that helps

4. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Your local building inspector would be able to tell you which should come first, the foundation or the wall, secondly, I would leave the job to a professional, definately hire out, Im also located in NJ and would be happy to provide you with a quote.

Chuck

5. nitrotim

from nj

Thanks. There isn't really a foundation its a pole barn so after the building goes up a pad gets poured.

6. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Does that pin with the tape wrapped around it represent the corner of the barn? You want to be at least that far from the trees if you plan on keeping them which means you'll be moving a lot of that dirt again. How deep will the posts be that support the barn?

7. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

Well I've done a few wals in my day and it looks to me that its going to be a big job. I think the most cost effictive way would be to use 4x6 lumber. But if ya think about it you would have to put a post every 6'-8' Theres going to be a lot pushing on it if its a 3' high wall. The posts would have to go in the ground atleast 3' with cement. But how long is that going to last? Its wood and it rots. The best way would be stone. little price comes along with that but it would look the best and be the strongest depending on what block you use. I know Nava stone has some pretty good blocks that would be perfect for your situation. Theres one thing though that i really stress! Make sure that you put drain pipe behind the wall. theres a lot of soil up there. run off from teh roof and water in general. a good 4" pipe would be good. Thought i might put in my 2 cents. hope i helped.

8. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Is that all sand? That is going to slide down more and more with every rainfall. I would definatly build a RW, maybe a poured wall would be the most cost effective. What are the dimensions?

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Is that sand he added to level?

10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

landscapingpoolguy,
    Great(space bar you idiot)minds and all..........That's scary looking.