1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Snapper Drive system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by titus5, Jul 7, 2009.

1. titus5

titus5 LawnSite Member

Hi there...I'm new to this site and was hoping the experts out there could give me some pointers on a Snapper Hi-Vac I just bought. I searched the forums for this info and came up empty-handed.

The Snapper I bought used of course. It appears quite old and is the Hi-Vac variety with a steel deck. I can't tell what year or model it is, and to complicate things it does not have the original engine (it has a Honda HRC216 on it that starts first pull every time.)

The self-propel system does not work at all. It appears fairly simple to work on and I am fairly handy so I plan to work on it myself. The belts are there and though old, I'm guessing they are not the issue. I know many of you out there have rebuilt these and it's these experiences I would like to tap into. Please give any advice/pointers/things to look for/tell me off for posting incorrectly, etc.

I thank you in advance for all of the sage advice.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Replace the belt......and check to be sure the idler pulley is free and turning and the spring on it is working. Then adjust the spring going up to the handle to get the drive belt to engage.