1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with sodding!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by C&J landscape, Jul 20, 2004.

1. C&J landscape

C&J landscape LawnSite Member

I have a yard the needs sodding. The ground is very bare and hard as a rock. There are many roots barely showing from the huge trees all over the property.
    My question is what would you guys recommend for prep before laying sod? Should I bring in a dump load of field dirt and sand to level out the ground around the roots?
    What about the hard ground? Tilling maybe?

I have never come across ground this hard. The whole lot is in the shade so I will probably be laying either Zoysia or Fescue b/c the owner has tried laying Bermuda years ago and it died very quickly due to not a lot of sunlight coming thru the trees.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
  2. Rebel7695

Rebel7695 LawnSite Member

bringing in topsoil is your best bet. i wouldn't mess with trying to till up the existing dirt. just put in several inches of topsoil then lay your sod. as for the trees and the shade. Either take a select few out, and/or trim up all of the trees. you would be amazed at what raising the canopy will do for the shade problem. If there is any kind of shade we will not guarantee a lawn unless we do the tree work that we find necessary. Also, watch that zoysia, its not nessarcarily a shade grass. it does better than bermuda, but if it is deep shade it won't take either.
    there aren't any trees on sod farms. something to think about.
  3. C&J landscape

C&J landscape LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply. This should help me a lot.
    The front yard gets some sun mid day/ early afternoon. The owner had the trees cut earlier in the year to raise the canopy so I think the Zoysia might do all right.
    However in the back yard the large trees are not trimmed and almost have a very large circle around them where barely any grass grows. I don't think the zoysia will work there.
    He is mainly concerned with the front yard due to it being near a busy street.
    Thanks for the help!!