? need help with starting a business web site ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FERT-TEK, Oct 21, 2006.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you that have a business website or have knowledge of setting one up I have a couple questions. I am fairly computer literate but have no experience in setting up or running a business website.

1) What do I need to do or where do I start if I were going to set up a website for a lawn care business.
    2) Where do you check to see if a business name is already being used ie. trademark issues, competing markets etc.
    3) For those of you that have one is it worth the hassle / cost.
    4) What costs are associated?
    5) Once set up how did you get your name out there?

2. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

New idea hosting at http://newideahost.com is how I got started. with their service you get all the toos you need to get your website up and running.

My website is not flashy, nor is it complex, but if a customer wants to find out more about my company, they can goto my site and find out what the need to know. Total cost 9.00 or so per month. Not the cheapest, but the URL is MINE it doesn't belong to yahoo or anyone else, There is no contract so I can take my url wherever I want, and I have gotten great personal attention. thanks to webman's advice and hard work I showup # 1 on yahoo when customers search for "lawn service auburn, ohio" Try it.

Webman posts regularly in the website section of this forum. I read what he had to say regarding web service, setting up a website, search results etc. He is a wealth of knowledge, and he has personally helped my out.

good luck!
    pc

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I will answer these thou I think most of your questions and more have already been answered, thou it might help if I point you to the Web site Discussions

1) Before you spend any money, I'd try Yahoo's free tools
    2) Any Registrar's Whois server, type in domain.com and see what comes up.
    3) It almost never is, most of us do it because it's either fun or for something to do.
    4) Registration ($2-$5/ year), Web Hosting ($10 / month), and of course your time.
    5) I printed it on my business cards, found a few small 'home and garden' type of directories to get listed in and next year I plan on seeing about getting listed in the Yahoo directory.

4. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

1) What do I need to do or where do I start if I were going to set up a website for a lawn care business.
    I can't "advertise" but there are many companies available. Most offer everything you have to have but only you know what you "need" and some go further than others helping you with your "needs". Others just provide the service and expect you to know how to use it.

2) Where do you check to see if a business name is already being used ie. trademark issues, competing markets etc.
    Most business names are not trademarked for small businesses like lawn care. Usually as long as no one else in your area has registered the same business name you will be OK. You have to check competing markets yourself but when you apply for business items like either DBA papers, go to incorporate or form an LLC, apply for any tax permits or employer numbers (whatever your state requires) if you try a name that is "in use" it will probably come to light.

3) For those of you that have one is it worth the hassle / cost.
    A good web site is the single most cost effective marketing tool there is. Period. The cost is so low one account or good job will easily cover your web expenses for a year, the rest is icing on the cake.

4) What costs are associated?
    Domain name $9 a year tops, usually less. ~$7-$8 a month for hosting/e-mail/site builder etc. (all the other stuff unless you hire someone to custom build a site)

5) Once set up how did you get your name out there?
    Put it on everything you do. Good search engine placement is important and surely helps but putting your web name on every card, brochure, advertisement, yellow page ads (a must), the sides of your truck/trailers/ everything! You want that domain name to become one with your business for maximum effect.
    Example, somebody sees your truck "on a job" they don't have time to stop & talk, no paper to copy a phone number, but if you have a "catchy" domain name they see it: (I just searched for one I never dreamed would be available and it is, remember not necessarily the company name, short "catchy" "memorable" and always dot-com)
    But they see that name, can remember it and when they get home or to the office they go to yourname.com and can find out all about you. That pays off more $$ than any other single thing.
    Just like in an ad, you can only afford to state the basics and then "tease" them to visit your site (unless you have tons of ad money). Once they are on the site you can give them all the details in full color & with examples.

Write your congressman (or vote for one that promises) to preserve web neutrality: Proposed laws will hurt small businesses more than anyone else!

5. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you for the information. My goal is to work on this project over the winter and have one running by spring.

6. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Avoid Theous.com

"Theous.com" Is A SCAM.